• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

why not oak?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0653.jpg

Eight or nine (or ten) coats of linseed oil... :v

Hey, the biggest, and meanest multi-barreled 18th century gunstock I know of, was even multi-barreled, and was built with green oak-----Old Ironsides :blah: :rotf: Bill

Perhaps you're right,Bob. I didn't mean to insuate that oak was being downgraded,rather that oak was/is one of the most valuable trees that we have!

Whiskey barrels are made out of oak. More specific,out of white oak,and this is dictated by FEDERAL LAW :shocked2:. White oak has a membrane in its cellular structure called tylosese (my spelling may not be correct)which seales off individual cells preventing translocation/evaporation of whiskey stored/aged in the barrel. When I make whiskey I always store it in white oak kegs which are available on the market :shocked2: :shocked2:.

Wit em woud sells that don leek, ye gots me kuriosity up.
How kum aftar tha shine has agged fer 2 munths tha barral allies seems ta bee 'bout a gallon low?
Ah allies thout it war a leekin but now ye gots me wunderin iffen that has anithin two du wit ole' Sy's "condition"?
:rotf: :rotf: :grin: :rotf:

Back