• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why the hatred for CVA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungGunner

36 Cal.
Reaction score
So I know that many of you do not like CVA rifles at all and I have to wonder why? Granted their barrels are made in spain, but i would have to think that for the most part a gunsmith in the 18th century wouldnt be able to produce as fine of a barrel as a manufacturer in the 21st century PURELY because of the availiability of materials. ALSO, my .54 is a CVA that I built from a kit with serial numbers from 1985 and that barrel was still made in spain. So i still have to ask why the hate? and what problems have YOU had with CVA rifles

YG, its not the cva that a lot of people here have a problem with, its the factory, lack of historicle correctness(if you will) they dont like. the best shooting rifle i own is a cva, i find nothing wrong with it, but at the same time i am not a reenactor, im a shooter, hunter. Some here think less of a factory gun, but i am in the shoot whatever you can afford camp, as long as you are making smoke! :v
OK fellas, let it rip :stir:

I totally agree with lonehunter..I shoot for pleasure I`m to the point I could really care less about a custom gun..I own them but find CVA,s shoot as good as they do

I guess I don't know what you're talking about. If someone says they have problems with a certain firearm is that being "hateful"? If you have a CVA and like it I doubt anyone hates you for it.
It seems to me that "hate" has become a very overused term in the media these days. Maybe you've been listening to NPR.

Its not that anybody hates ME, its just that I've read alot of people saying that they dont think that CVA's are a worthwhile gun

Everyone has an opinion,the only one that matters is yours.If you're happy with your rifle more power to you.Enjoy it.

for me some people like fords some chevys, others forgin made. they all get you down the road.

I must have missed someone saying they werent a good rifle

Sounds like a reasonable opinion to me, what's hateful about saying that? Let me tell you a little story.
Two friends both bought Traditions Shenandoa rifles. After a couple of months both replaced the barrels with Green Mountain and the locks with RPL's. They now have accurate and reliable rifles, but. Considering the initial cost of the rifles plus the cost of locks and barrels and having the barrels fitted up to the gun they now have invested the cost of a TVM custom rifle. But to all appearances those rifles are still cheap imported guns. So for those two fellows the cheap Spanish made guns were a poor investment.
On the other hand, many, many people have CVA or Traditions guns and are quite happy with them just as is. Different experiences, different expectations and differences of opinion don't reflect "hate".

I agree with Mr. YoungGunner all the way. But I will say there is no “hate” here on the cap lock side compared to the flintlock side. I have felt the sting on numerous occasions. It is to the point, they have pretty much eliminated me form ever being a customer, of a custom gun. Big deal who cares? I was told recently by one our more verbose gentlemen the reason I say and do what I do with flintlocks is, I never really shot a good gun so how could I know? Everyone’s situation is different and we do as well as we can with what we can. Mr. YoungGunner, I hope you love your CVA. Learn to shoot it, it will be great fun.

Many look down on'm just because it's an inexpensive gun. And it's a way for some to feel better about their gun because costs more, a petty and childish thing.
They got a bad rap with the early Jukar and split stocks. Especially the kit that was put together quickly by someone with no clue of fit an finish. They'd just slap some stain an polyurathane on it, bang away a couple shot's, not clean it proper, then decide it was just a cheap piece of junk.
CVA never did spend much time with finish work, the lock and trigger parts where just stamped out and assembled, leaving ruff edges and burrs that slowed things down. The barrel/drum breech requires some special attention for proper cleanlyness to keep the fire channel open. The stock inletting was ruffly machined out and the wood needed plenty of forming/shaping, something many folks don't want too or don't know how to do.

Basically, those guns had an entry level price tag, but require more work and tuneing then the novice had time or knowledge to do. Thus the bad rap.
In the proper hands and with basic tools and knowledge the CVA is a fine gun and a great shooter, that 32" 45 cal Jukar barrel is a tack driver! :thumbsup:
But for someone thats afraid to so much as pull the lock from a gun, let alone break the lock apart and polish the parts :shake: So they'd hit the range and not shoot straight because the barrel wasn't seated proper, hangfire because the lock was slow or the screws too tight, missfire because the drum was plugged,,,even guy's that didn't own them saw the problems the shooter was having,,,,
Again, an entry level price that many times was bought on a whim or as a gift, but not an easy/simple gun to learn with,,therefore,,
"Oh Uncle Jeff had one of those,,never did work right"! or "Grandpa put one of those together from a kit at Christmas, ain't nuthin but a wall hanger"!
(but Grandpa was in sales, that never touched more than a hammer an nail to hang a picture)

heres the deal with me, the lack historical accuracy, and yes im a "living historian", not a re-inactor. also with the very small LOP (lenght of pull) its damned difficult for me to actually shoot them. also i like a gun i can run 150 grns of powder in once in a while if im hunting larger game. something i would never ever recommend in a CVA. i had one of there kentucky rifles in flintlock, i gave it to my daughter who stands 5'2" and the gun fits her fine.

Maybe you should start building your own rifles..Also how long have you been a living historian?

nobody else has to shoot your gun but you.I own 3 rifles made by Traditions and all have taken game. My absolute favorite is my crockett rifle,It fits my frame like it was made just for me but it still dont fit my personality so I plan on getting an Identical stock made from a super fancy cherry for it and all my future rifles will have the same stock dementions and if the only parts I can find cheap are cva or traditions oh well. their my guns and nobody touches them but me. point is, enjoy your rifle, you earned it

CVA is/was an excellent ENTRY LEVEL gun that allowed a lot of us to get into this game, and grow from there if we so chose to!

I have owned 3 and still have 2 of them. They are not for sale, shoot fine and do their job. You cant ask for much more than that.

No hate implied whatsoever! they shoot right along with the big boys.

My rendition of cva...
I used to shoot competitive trap. This guy was watching and thought it looked like fun. He wanted to try it out.
He goes down to Kmart and buys an H&R break open 12ga single barrel with a hammer, $47.77
He entered some events over the weekend and commenced to kick every one's butts, even made it to and won some shoot offs!
proves that it is not always the gun that is inferior or superior!

The only thing I feel that would be an improvement on cva's... would be a tad stronger main spring in the lock.

Good guns, got lots of us started here!

Many hold a lower opinion of the factory guns for a number of reasons which have been mentioned some say the are great and some say not so good, one really has to try both factory and custom to be able to make a valid comment on the merits of either.One might spend their life gobbling down Big Macs and thbink it is the best lunch there is....untill someone gives them a plate of prime rib.I have owned 6-8 CVA'a and none can compare to a custom with a quality barrel and lock, but will do fine for those who have no interest in history or higher quality equipment.

No one hates 'em, except for the folks who get bad ones.

The problem comes in when someone asks what time period their brand spankin' new CVA fits into and the owner and pinhead supporters, to borrow a Brooksism, get all upset when the response is 1970s, 'cause that doesn't fit their perception of the way things should be...what they want to believe.

In addition the quality of the CVA, Traditions, etal, can be pretty spotty. Some folks love 'em, and those who get bad ones do hate 'em. Other than that, it's your gun. Shoot it in good health.

God bless

In the early days of the import muzzleloader craze. Early 1970's. Americans were also in the magnum rifle craze. So, when they got their Spanish made replicas, they immediately stuffed about twice as much powder in them as was recommended. After a couple of ruptured barrels they were known as the Spanish pipe bombs. The rep stuck. The CVA rifles made today are a far cry from the first ones sent over as far as barrel quality and the new CVA in-lines made with the Bergara barrels are as good as any in the world. (I have a 50 cal Bergara barrel for Encore and am impressed.)

My motto has always been "Run what you got" and have a ball. :thumbsup:

"the owner and pinhead supporters'

Hey JD, I like that, can I use it? Buzzzzzzzzzzzz

CVA's are great rifles, especially those Hawken models. Ive never had a problem with their locks or their barrels. Still shooting one of their hawkens from 1986 and all ive had to replace were a nipple and a sear that i accidently broke.

Anytime i hear people bashing cva and they say that use them as wall hangers or just leave them in the gun safe, I simply reply, Send that rifle to me and let me see how she shoots. I dont mind owning a rifle that the previous owner couldnt get to shoot :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back