• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild turkey, good eating?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wild turkeys from the Loess Hills of Iowa are excellent table fare. The breast tastes exactly like pheasant breast. The legs taste like domestic turkey but the meat is slightly stringy. As with all wild game birds, employ moist cooking methods and don't overcook. One final tip: after you strip the carcass, put it in a kettle of water along with any leftover turkey pieces and add some salt and poultry seasoning. Simmer for thirty minutes or so. Remove the bones. Add some chopped-up celery and simmer until the celery is tender. Then add some noodles and simmer until the noodles are tender. Makes tasty soup.

Fred,
This is just my opinion,but if you are not going to eat it,or know someone that will.DON'T
KILL IT. Smoking is great. I tried the deep
frying thing once with a small tom and I think
I may have left it in about 15 minutes too long.
Made great turkey sandwiches,with mayo.salt and
pepper though.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

In my household, everyone prefers the wild turkeys over domestic. The meat is more moist than domestic & don't let anyone tell you that they are mostly dark meat. About the only dark meat on the wild ones around here is in the drumsticks & they are so tough that they usually get given to the dogs.
I always pluck them & dress them out just like Store bought turkeys & my wife prepares & cooks them in a roasting pan in the oven the same as you would a domestic.
Wild turkeys are the best!

The ones I've had here in Texas have been great, and we usually pop out the breast meat, season and grill right away, saving the rest for soup, although my great uncle smoked one whole many years ago and it was excellent.

Latest posts

Back