• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

will a 45 do the job?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher Jeremy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been wanting a long rifle for quite a while, but due to the fact that my last name isn't Rockefeller, my budget is very small. I know a guy who is selling a absolutely gorgeous 45 (can't remember the manufacturer) percussion Long Rifle for under $200. (a price I can barely afford) I plan on shooting a vous, and would like to use the rifle for deer also. Would the 45 be a good first blackpowder rifle for me, or should I keep looking until I find a 50 or bigger in my price range? :idunno:

Grab that rifle. I am not into reenacting but the .45 will handle anything you might encounter in your woods at home if you hold her right. Good luck.

I started with a .45 in the 70s, killed a few dozen deer with it...My load was 75grs FFF Goex...The ball would be found on the off side, under the hide...The good thing is, with center lung shots they still dropped 30-60 yards or so...

Just take good shots and track slow, you'll be fine...

Just a matter of skill & self control. If your skill will let you hit the sweet spot (4" round) again and agin without missing at say 50 yards, and you have the self control to only shoot the deer when it is 45 yards or less away. Yep

If you want to fling lead across the county. Nope

:idunno:

Buy the rifle, 45s are a kick in the pants to shoot. :grin:

Preacher Jeremy said:
I've been wanting a long rifle for quite a while, but due to the fact that my last name isn't Rockefeller, my budget is very small. I know a guy who is selling a absolutely gorgeous 45 (can't remember the manufacturer) percussion Long Rifle for under $200. (a price I can barely afford) I plan on shooting a vous, and would like to use the rifle for deer also. Would the 45 be a good first blackpowder rifle for me, or should I keep looking until I find a 50 or bigger in my price range? :idunno:

When money is tight I think it all the more important to be most prudent. If the gun is not all you want it to be you will have less opportunity to "buy another".. Personally I would hold out for a .50 or better yet a .54. EVEN if you had to save another $50.00 to $75.00 that will be cheaper then a second gun. Yah the .45 is "good enough" but its not great IMO.
All that being said, sometimes anything is better then nothing. AND... keep in mind, the auxileray stuff REQUIRED will cost you another bill more or less.

Sure! Go for it. The .45 is quickly becoming my favorite caliber. I don't feel "under-gunned" with it within it's range of limitations.

Go for it. Great all around gun. Check rate of twist before buying. Then PRB or maxi-ball use would be available.

The 45 will get the job done if you point it correctly. In my TC Hawken 70 grains of Triple Seven 2f will push the ball through a deer at 50 yards. It will also print nice small groups at that distance. Buy it and then start over saving up for the next purchase.

I'm curious what people's thoughts are about using the Remington (1866) 1858 Carbine with Triple 7 powder and either a RB or conical.

The deer around here are pretty scrawny compared to the deer in the nation (75-125 lbs on the hoof).

But a RB pushed by 40 grns of 3F Triple 7 seems a little light for any real distance. Maybe 50 yds?

33 grns pushed a RB from a ROA at 1062 fps with 371 ft/lbs from a 7.5" barrel.

30 grns pushed a conical (225 grns) at 968 fps with 469 ft/lbs from that same ROA.

Are these rifles more of a plinker or small game rifle?

I'm a big .45 fan and have killed many deer and other critters with that caliber in two different rifles. Just remember: .45 Goooooood......

There was a time when the 45 was considered a Big Bore. I killed several Texas Hill Country 100 pound deer with a 40 cal. Flinter. I never had one get away and neither did my ex wife. They averaged going 45 yards or less. When I got my 50 I killed one deer with it and went back to the 40.

However the trend now if bigger is better. I have never had even a marginal kill with a 50 I am now on the quest for a 58. I do have a 54 but I have never hunted with it! Go figure!

I would buy that rifle! Geo. T.

"By all means NO, you'd best get something bigger just in case something goes wrong."

Maybe look at a rifled .62 or even something in the .70's.......

Just kidding.

A .45 killed many, many, many deer in this country.

My first build was a .45 flintlock LR and this caliber was chosen after much thought. Didn't think I'd be building more MLers, so wanted a versatile caliber that was capable of killing deer and also could be used for squirrels. This LR did both well....the loads were PRBs w/ 70 grs 3f for deer and 30 grs 3f for squirrels. Both of the above loads req'd no sight change for 80 yd/70 grs 3f and 25 yd/30 grs 3f zeroes....naturally the more accurate load was the lighter squirrel load but the deer load was accurate enough.....Fred

I appreciate all the feed back, I think I'm going to buy the gun. Beautiful, Versatile, and relatively inexpensive to buy, what's not to love! :hatsoff:

And if the bore isn't all that good, at that low purchase price you could turn right around and have it bored out/re-rifled to a .50cal for $100-$125 bucks.

Now...I'm going to say something, that unless I overlooked it, hasn't been mentioned yet. The price of $200 for a fully functional, trouble free long rifle strikes me as basically being too good to be true.

If it were me, I'd really want to know the quality details of what I was getting...lock, stock, barrel, triggers, etc...and insist on a 3 day inspection / return / refund agreement. If the seller wasn't willing to do that I'd walk away. Your mileage may vary

roundball said:
And if the bore isn't all that good, at that low purchase price you could turn right around and have it bored out/re-rifled to a .50cal for $100-$125 bucks.

Now...I'm going to say something, that unless I overlooked it, hasn't been mentioned yet. The price of $200 for a fully functional, trouble free long rifle strikes me as basically being too good to be true.

If it were me, I'd really want to know the quality details of what I was getting...lock, stock, barrel, triggers, etc...and insist on a 3 day inspection / return / refund agreement. If the seller wasn't willing to do that I'd walk away. Your mileage may vary

Good advice here....

Back