• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will a .50 prb go through a bear's shoulder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerkicker

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Is a shot through the shoulder and into the heart/lung area a valid bear killer with a patched round ball in .50 caliber? I'm concerned it will not blow through the shoulder. Anyone here done it?

colorado clyde said:
You might want to define the type and size of the bear.......
Also; a shoulder shot and heart/lungs are two separate things IMO.....

I am actually going to agree. The average size bear that is killed in Idaho is 150 pounds. That is not a big animal. Also what is the yardage. If your talking a 100 to 150 pound bear at 50 yards. It might get it done. If your talking a 300 pound bear at 100 yards. They might find your wallet in a pile of bear dung.

A shoulder shot may well still have your bullet's line of travel in line with the lungs. Much depends on how the bear presents itself to your line of sight.

I'm looking at 50 yards or less on perhaps a 400# black bear.

400 lbs is a good sized black, a .50 will go through an elk, but it is considered small for elk hunting. Most of the bear around here are less then 200 lbs. I would venture a bigger gun on a bigger bear.

Powerkicker said:
A shoulder shot may well still have your bullet's line of travel in line with the lungs. Much depends on how the bear presents itself to your line of sight.

I'm looking at 50 yards or less on perhaps a 400# black bear.

I am WELL aware that the lungs and heart can be in the bullet patch line but if you have to punch through a shoulder and the ball can't make it, your screwed. A 400# bear!!! No way in he!! I would shoot at a 400 pound bear with a PRB no way. But good luck to you if you do.

I think you are correct to be concerned! Robert Ruark said, "use enough gun". I'd go with a .58 and a 20 bore woulden't be amiss. I'd also forget the shoulder and aim low just behind the shoulder, preferably quartering away.

I've seen a .50 rb driven by 110gr 2F bounce off an elks rib at 30 yds.

.50 cal PRB? Yes. 500 lb black bear? Yes. Through the shoulder? Absolutely not. Heart/lung only and does the job very well. Take your time and aim small, miss small. Not saying it can't be done, but out of respect for the animal, I pick high percentage shots.

Flint311 said:
.50 cal PRB? Yes. 500 lb black bear? Yes. Through the shoulder? Absolutely not. Heart/lung only and does the job very well. Take your time and aim small, miss small. Not saying it can't be done, but out of respect for the animal, I pick high percentage shots.
:thumbsup:

I agree, what the hell would you ever shoot a bear in the shoulder for? Aim behind the shoulder,double lung shot. Shoulder shots ruin meat and you will lose the bear most likely. I killed one last year with a .45 cal .440 ball and 50 grains of 3F KIK black powder. Make a good shot and you will kill them easily. If you are hunting from a stand you will have to aim at the heart as the ball will shoot hihg due to the angle. Practice!
Nit Wit

Nit Wit said:
I agree, what the hell would you ever shoot a bear in the shoulder for? Aim behind the shoulder,double lung shot. Shoulder shots ruin meat and you will lose the bear most likely. I killed one last year with a .45 cal .440 ball and 50 grains of 3F KIK black powder. Make a good shot and you will kill them easily. If you are hunting from a stand you will have to aim at the heart as the ball will shoot high due to the angle. Practice!
Nit Wit

That says it all! It's accuracy more than power. There is NO way to turn a muzzleloader into a magnum...complete fallacy. Better off thinking in terms of hunting with a cartridge handgun, power wise unless you've got a rifled 4 bore! :wink: :haha:

IF my only choice for bear was a .50, I would go for a HEAVY-for-caliber conical in front of a stout charge of BP.

Otoh, I would trust my .58 caliber "sort of a Zouave" with one of my homebrew Minie Balls for most any bear, at a reasonable range.
(I would expect a "pass-through" anywhere in "the kill-zone" on a bear, inasmuch as in 2001 I took a > 1500 pound Brahma bull with it, that was damaging our BSA camp property. = He went about 30M & then GYD.)

Fwiw, we dressed out/ground the Brahma into hamburger & fed the Scouts off him all summer session.

yours, satx

Is a shot through the shoulder and into the heart/lung area a valid bear killer with a patched round ball in .50 caliber? I'm concerned it will not blow through the shoulder.

I was under the impression based on numerous posts from fellows using shoulder shots...on level or nearly level ground, the ball is going to slam the shoulder and then do spinal damage..., not go through the shoulder into the heart or lungs, unless you are firing downwards at a steep angle.

:idunno:

Some sources say that the shoulder shot will incapacitate the animal faster in some cases than a through and through lung shot. I have never hunted bear myself, but I think that I'd prefer the broadside shot. Even if I had a .58 instead of a .54 and very much so if using a .50.

You could get deeper penetration if you used round ball made from wheel weights or linotype, and worked up a patch combo, as the metal is much harder, giving you more penetration.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I was under the impression based on numerous posts from fellows using shoulder shots...on level or nearly level ground, the ball is going to slam the shoulder and then do spinal damage..., not go through the shoulder into the heart or lungs, unless you are firing downwards at a steep angle.

:idunno:

Some sources say that the shoulder shot will incapacitate the animal faster in some cases than a through and through lung shot.

There is some truth to that. When shooting a powerful round yes. Punching through a shoulder is the put um down approach. I shot a HUGE cow with my paper patched 460 gr bullets. The shot was about 60 yards. The bullet crushed the shoulder and kept on course to the flank where I found it.
My slightly hardened 460 gr conical hit that cow with about 1600 foot pounds of energy. It yanked the rug on her. She got up and went about 20 yards and piled up. That is not going to be the outcome of a PRB through a shoulder.

shoulder_zpsc03465bf.jpg

Thanks for the responses all. I was looking at it with the same mindset I do when shooting a magnum handgun on large game. I was thinking that it should be comparable with a bp prb. It sounds like the sectional density of the ball makes that unwise. Your input is highly valued and duly noted. I'm shooting around the shoulders if the bear shows up to the shooting I'm going to try to schedule with him :haha:

Back