• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will I have enough penetration ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well boys...after hunting for 17 days off and on, I have no turkey to show for it :barf: ! It was a fun season and I was able to call in 4 Toms, mostly for friends. 2 of these birds were shot by first-timers (priceless)! On to my sad tale...I took a shot at a Tom with my musket at what I hoped was no farther than 20 yards. The shot turned out to be 24 1/2 yards precisely. I was contorted to my right as the bird came in on my right shoulder and I was in a small clump of trees. As I hoped the bird would come closer, I started getting a Charlie-horse in my thigh...he had drawn a line in the sand, so-to-speak. I knew he was close to my magic 20 yard limitation and knew it was now or never, so I shot! The smoke cleared quickly as it was a breezy day and I saw the gobbler on his side. He quickly got to his feet and made 3 or 4 tight circles before running into some brush. I searched for 1 1/2 hours to no avail. If I could take the shot back, I would. Nearly 25 yards just proved to far for my gun/load combination. The biggest problem, was his coming in the way he did and not seeing my decoys from his position (I always know exactly how far my decoys are to gauge a bird's distance). Anyway, I started going hunting with a new-to-me 12 gauge New Englander the rest of the season. I never had a bird closer than 35-40 yards while hunting with it though. And so ends my BP turkey season. This is NOT a brag, but I want to say, the last 4 or 5 years I have killed a Tom on opening day (pre-BP). This season with Blackpowder and cylinder bores was different...I was HUNTING! While I didn't take a bird, I had a great season and saw and learned a lot! There is just something about frontloaders, isn't there? Thought I would bring all the kind folks who posted here up to date, and say THANKYOU again! Thanks, Skychief. :thumbsup:

Back