• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

William Moore Flintlock Rampart Gun cal. 2 bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Very early English rampart gun with 39-1/4" swamped rnd bbl that is 1-11/16" diameter at the muzzle with a 1-1/8" diameter rifled bore. Breech end of the bbl is approx. 2-3/8" diameter with a small flat on top on which is mounted a fixed rear sight that is marked "100" and "300" meters. Front sight is German silver. Maker's name is engraved on the top flat and the tang is nicely engraved with a trophy of arms and light arabesque patterns. Maker's name also appears on the 6-3/4" long lockplate. Furniture is brass with a massive trigger guard, two guides containing an iron buttonhead ramrod and heavy buttplate with stepped tang. Stock is straight grain walnut, full length, secured with two wedges through the forestock. Forestock also has brass escutcheons around a hole for mounting a pintle.
55312.jpg

:hatsoff:

Counter-battery fire, sniping, and probably H & I against besieging forces. There were apparently various light mountings so they could be used in the field as well as on fortifications.

Joel

The rampart gun was a "sniper" rifle meant to take out cannon crews. It could shoot about as far as the enemy cannons, and therefore kept the cannons away from the walls and the cannon crews nervous. If the ball hit the cannon, the shrapnel could wound several of the crew at once.

Many Klatch

Where'd you get this photo and information about this rampart rifle??? Just curious as I'm building one in the near future and want some more photos and information about them so I can properly replicate them

chriskletke said:
Where'd you get this photo and information about this rampart rifle??? Just curious as I'm building one in the near future and want some more photos and information about them so I can properly replicate them
James D. Julia Auctioneer.
But don't ask me about the year.It was the only photo.Sorry.
:hatsoff:

chriskletke said:

There are two surviving American made "wall rifles" (just another name). They were made during the Revolutionary War in Fredericksburg Virginia. One is at West Point and the other is at Rock Island Arsenal in Rock Island IL. I have always wanted to make one of that style.

Both have full octagon barrels and look like oversized wood patchbox longrifles. Frederick Kleete was the foreman of the Fredericksburg Manufactory when they were made and the stock architecture and trigger guard are very much like those on his rifle in RCA.

George Washington wrote about wall rifles and said they could hit a “sheet of paper” at 400 yards. In addition the already mentioned uses they were very good for stopping unwanted river traffic when the fort overlooked the river.

Gary

I've also read accounts of Putnams company, and men from Rogers Companies of rangers being issued wall pieces from Fort Edward after the French raided near there in 1756 I believe. When you read wall piece and battoe in the same sentance, most think they carried small cannons or swivel guns. But Putnam later described them as large shoulders arms fired over the ramparts of fort with 41/2' barrels and a caliber of around .96. I'll get you the exact wording if you want.
I also read accounts of the Germans using them against American infantry during the New York campaign in 1776. That was in one of the old histories of the Revolution. I find that one if you want it as well.
The neat thing is that most believe that they were only fired from fortified positions, but in many cases they were carried into the field of battle by one or two men, and manuvered by them at what ever targets were present, be they artillery, infantry, or fortification. I love them!

Wow guys thanks for all the great info I wrote both those museums and asked for demensions and photos. SO that's going to help me lots. But yeah I wouldn't mind exact demensions of barrel length etc from the rogers rangers wall gun that sounds cool since I do rogers ranger reenactment

Latest posts

Back