• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Williamsburg gun shop closed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny/Oh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a brief e-mail from someone who was visiting Colonial Williamsburg.

They said the gunshop closed on Friday and the gunsmith was let go and others were reassigned.

Anyone know the details? I sure hope it ain't so.

That would be a real tragedy as those were some of the nicest gents I've ever met. I was there a few months back and they were very polite as well as knowledgeable. They answered all my questions(and there were plenty)in pleasant form. It would be a shame to lose them. Billy

The local newspaper has reported that there have been layoffs due to the weak economy.

Yes, and if you just woke up the country is moving to the HARD LEFT. You will be seeing alot more of this PC Anti-Gun movement. :hmm:
My donations to the Colonial Williamsburg Funds will also end due to the poor economy. :rotf:

It appears that the gunshop isn't being closed; they laid off several emloyees but not all, and are moving the shop within Colonial Williamsburg. Probably a combination of;

1. more competition from "amusement"-type theme parks with rides

2. poor economy

3. government cutbacks due to reduced revenue

Visitation at Colonial Williamsburg has declined in recent years and last summer's gas prices did not help. Government budget cuts are not part of the problem as (per the CW Foundation website) CW does not receive any regular funding from either the Virginia or US government. If the CW Foundation had a big stock portfolio which was supposed to generate income for expenses, that could be another issue in addition to the drop in the number of visitors. Its sad that so many only seem to appreciate historic sites for the entertainment 'value' provided and tend to ignore the educational opportunities.

I just read on another sight that possibly the foundry and gunsmith shop are to be combined.

So maybe all is not lost and there still may be a gunshop in the future.

Considering the Gunsmith/Gunmaker exhibition shows the art and skill of several different crafts, working in both metals and wood, I think the management of Colonial Williamsburg would be nuts to close this permanently. This is the biggest draw of crowds to the village, regardless of what the producers and Directors of the plays performed there might think. If they think attendance dropped off this past year with the gas crisis, wait until they see the drop in attendance, because the Gunsmith shop is closed. :youcrazy: :shocked2: :hatsoff:

I just got a pretty dumb pen made to look like a drum stick in the mail from them today along with asking for money. Makes no sense to me, they could have saved the money it cost to make the pen and mail it out to everyone.

oldiemkr said:
I just got a brief e-mail from someone who was visiting Colonial Williamsburg.

They said the gunshop closed on Friday and the gunsmith was let go and others were reassigned.

Anyone know the details? I sure hope it ain't so.

Just visited Williamsburg & the gun shop. Two of four gunsmiths (including one I know) have been laid off (along with 18 others in the historic trades and over 100 total) The gunsmith shop will be relocated to the Getty sliversmith foundry building. The gunsmiths will be sharing a smaller space and with only two, will not be on site as much as before. According to Wallace Gussler, the current gunsmith shop has been a "temporary location" since the 1960s and was never a gunsmith shop in the 18th c, whereas the Getty's were known to be both gunsmiths and silversmiths.

That is really hard to believe. Perhaps it is time to make a trip if attendance is off that much. I know one thing that detracts from my enjoyment of historic sites is crowds, particularly loud, disrespectful busloads of field trippers. The silver lining here may be that these sites can be enjoyed now without the DisneyLand-like throngs of people. You should be able to just walk up to one of the Taverns and get a table for lunch for a change.

Latest posts

Back