• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Windex between shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throckmorton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It seems like I"v heard of using windex to swab bores every now and then.
In addition a dealer/shooter at a local shop swears by 409 for this use.

whatcha think? :hmm:

I think it's mostly ammonia. I've used it to wipe the dirt/gunk off of old gun stocks, a tip recommended to me by a gun shop owner. Hasn't seemed to hurt anything and it takes stuff of pretty well.

RedFeather

Windex is good but 409 is beyond belief for cleaning. I shoot with spit so don't have to clean between shots but use it for cleaning after I'm through and 1st patch of 409 will be black but the 2nd will be almost white. Probably most of the 409 type cleaners will work the same way.

Gun writer Mike Venturino recomends Windex diluted about 4 to 1 with water for cleaning his blackpowder breech loaders. He says it has to be the variety with vinegar. :hmm:

Tried all kinds, plain old 91% alcohol probably is as good as anything. Most of the time I use a mix of equal parts 91% acohol, vinager and anmonia, was told in the 50's that was the way to go. Who knows?? It's fun to keep tryin... :grin:

A lot of the surplus rifle shooters swear by cleaning with windex.
The alcohol is what kills the corrosive stuff in the barrel.
Most ammo for the older rifles is corrosive. Even ammo sold as non scorrosive has been checked and usually turns out to be corrosive.
I hear it really kills the effects of that stuff.

Straight regular Windex or any windsheild washer fluid works great for removing black powder residue. I have used it for through cleaning many times. Windshield washer fluid is really cheap. Slosh it around in your barrel and dump it out. One or two patches and your gun will be clean. Tepid water works good for most cleaning.

Greetings Throckmorton,

Many of my competition shooting friends use both Windex and 409 to wipe the between each shot. These are men whose opinions I respect and value.

Both items works good for these men without complaint, but more seem to use the Windex. I think that is only because they starting using it first.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

if you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Well I just get back from the range, shot 25 times without swabbing once. Why did I do this? To prove a point? Nah”¦ just forgot my cleaning patches at home. :grin: I was using Goex blackpowder and CVA precut/prelubed patches. I didn’t notice any problem with loading or hitting the target. Of course I wasn't at a match shoot, just punching holes in paper.

Used straight Windex, Windex/409, Windex/Fantastic, Windex/Simple Green, Windex/water, and now,,,,,,, Windex/91% alcohol.
I've found nothing wrong with any of these combos except the Win/Alki drives the crud deeper into your finger's pores. :grin:
My opinion,,, Windex (blue or green) is fine stuff. I just feel the Alki dries faster for "damp day" shooting. (Note; NOT lab tested for verification)

At muzzleloader trap shoots I've noticed many shooters with their cushion wads in a jar full of windex.

OK guys, as I live in France - what the h--l is Windex when it's at home??!!
Could someone tell me what the contents on the label are so I can look in the shops here. Also, exactly HOW do you use it?
Cheers
Duncan

Windex is a brand name for a window washing spray which has been around sense before me.

They appearently don't want the competition to get a jump on them so they don't say what's in it.

A good guess is 96% Water, liquid Ammonia, a tiny bit of soap, vinigar, blue food coloring and some scent to make it smell nice.

Duncan, if you use windshield washer fluid over there, it's the same stuff, or close enough not to matter. I have been using it for over 20 years for cleaning, with good results.

My choice is the "Family Dollar" Glass Cleaner with Vinegar. It's green colored and only a dollar a bottle. Windex is clear and at least twice the price. Both cut the fouling fast. I carry a little empty scent bottle in my possibles bag...doesn't take up any room. Also works great on C&B revolvers...when the fouling starts making it hard to cock I give the front of the cylinder a quick wipe and good to go again. As was mentioned in a previous post...works great in cartridge guns too.

Back