• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Windex between shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.
So for cleaning AFTER your shoot and before you put the gun away I assume you strip it as normal and then instead of soaking in hot soapy water you spray the 'Windex' all over and clean with a cloth and brush, let it evaporate then oil up?
Keep ther information coming!!! :hmm:
Duncan

I clean my muzzleloader in hot,soapy water when I get home. Cartridge gun I clean with the glass cleaner with vinegar at home.

Glass Cleaner with Ammonia and a few drops of dish soap is used for MilSurps to clean the corrosive ammo from the metal. It should work for Black Powder as it is corrosive also. the Ammonia and Soap breaks the corrosiveness down

Anybody have experience with Simple Green? Its supposed to be environmentally friendly. I find that cleaning my 62 smoothbore fusil seems to take twice as long and twice as much stuff--patches, water, goop, etc--as does my 50 cal rifles. You would THINK it would be the reverse, fouling hiding in the grooves, etc. Advice? Thanks, ron in Venice, FL

Just because you guys didn't notice a problem, doesn't mean there can't be one. Windex and solutions like it, contain ammonia, which in some guns can be very corrosive, if it is left in a gun for a long time.

Another problem with it (as well as alcohol) is that it will un-season your barrel. If you are aware of this and can work around the potential bad effects of the problem, great!!!

But don't wipe it in the morning while hunting and think it can go all day without being cleaned and cared for. You will be surprised and may cost you some serious money.

Back