• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainVane

Colt ‘51 & Remington ‘58 .36; Colt ‘48 .31
Reaction score
First winter with my BP pistols. Any tips, tricks, words of wisdom I need to know when the weather gets below 35-40?

I use TC bore butter, a little dab over the ball. It gets hard when cold. I will keep inside jacket.
I was thinking like is the Uberti metallury more susceptible to cracking when brittle?

Proper capper if you don't already have one. Try putting those little bugers on with cold fingers 😂. Im a no lube guy when it comes to round ball. I've done the bore butter under my jacket before, it can get harder than you think. Might wanna tuck it in before you leave the house, saw one guy tape hot hands hand warmers around his lube before. For cleaning i always have a small spray bottle with soapy water in my jacket, soap will help it from freezing. I have a nylon tube coming off the tip of it for easily spraying down the barrel. Then pull a patch thru tied to a string, like a bore snake. Also a glass bead on the other end so the string drops thru easy.

This will be my first winter with black powder so I appreciate all these little tips.

Here in Wisconsin, I'm lucky if I can get to an outdoor range in weather I can stand twice a month Dec - Mar. I can't shoot black powder at my indoor range, so my BP shooting will be pretty limited real soon.

1- build a heated long shed. 2 - install an exhaust fan. 3- old wood stove in the corner. I refuse to venture outside when the mercury drops below 25 degrees. I shoot pellet pistols in my heated workshop….that’s it.

Just go easy on the lube. Maybe a crisco/olive or canola oil mix. Even straight olive/canola or Ballistol if it’s really cold. Never gets cold enough here for me to go to such extremes. Late fall and winter is the only time I can shoot comfortably, 40’s and 50’s.

I love shooting in winter. BP seems more stable. nice and dry and cold. more consistent ignition compared to heat and humidity of summer. don't over dress if you have to run between targets. extra pockets are handy to stash gloves and hat if you over heat..
NKG_4019.jpg

NKG_4089.jpg

NKG_0225s.jpg

NKG_0332.jpg

NKG_0313.jpg

NKG_0348.jpg

NKG_9752.jpg

I often end up with no hat or gloves in single digit temps. YMMV . if you have a big snowbank to use as a back drop it makes for great easy harvesting of lead for re smelting in the spring.

First winter with my BP pistols. Any tips, tricks, words of wisdom I need to know when the weather gets below 35-40?
We shoot indoors after October. Cold (below 25 degrees F.) didn't bother me much until I turned 60 or so but it's really starting to bother me now in my 70's having to work out doors . Shooting isn't much fun for me now in cold weather in general and muzzle loading with bare fingers in particular.
Man where did the years go to so fast !

Back