• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wis-Deer season-flint..a first

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
My first flint lock deer! This has been a big transition for me,first flint-first round-ball
IMG_0296.jpg

This buck means more to me than some of the 16 inch racks I have hanging on the wall of the man cave!

IMG_0297.jpg

Wisconsin general firearms season started this last Saturday-I hunt public land in the river bottoms where the Mississippi and Chippewa rivers meet. Saturday morning was warm and more fog than I can remember for the gun opener.visibility was 35 to 50 yards till 9:00 am. I got set up ready to shoot by 6:20 am. turkeys eagles duck and geese where in the area. I set myself up about 45 minute walk from the truck-requires a hip boot crossing. the area is a mix of marsh grass river birch slight elevations of oak ridges-some open grass meadows -lots of prickly ash some mature maple stands.First shot heard was 6:45 am the season has begun. at 7:10 I heard some faint leave rustling behind me, turned to the right in my tree stand caught movement-40 yards and coming. the deer was silhouetted against a thin patch of prickly ash when it saw me it stopped,I put the sights of my 54 cal. T/C Renedage flint right behind the front shoulder and squeezed the trigger bright flash-big cloud of smoke I strained to see through the smoke and fog the buck was down. 7:15 am I was in awe! the round ball was just amazing..I broke the bucks spine- the shot was a pass through. This is a first and I hope to keep on this new tradition going till I can't hunt any longer. This brings the fun back to the deer gun season.There was another deer trailing behind this one ,those were the only deer I saw on my 2 day hunt.I got out of my stand at 9:30 am to take pictures and field dress my buck. at 10:15 I started to make small 1 man drives for 2 of my brothers walked till 3:00 never saw another tail..deer numbers way down in these parts. Just happy to have a place where I can go stumble when I get bored stand hunting!

Load: .90 gr. fff goex
1 Oxyoke 54 cal wool over powder wad
1 .018 pillow ticking patch
Hoppe's black powder solvent and lube
.530 home cast round ball
ffff-goex prime

makeumsmoke said:
My first flint lock deer!
This has been a big transition for me,first flint-first round-ball.
This brings the fun back to the deer gun season.
ffff-goex prime

That's outstanding...and I totally understand & agree with all the above...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

BillinOregon said:
Sweet! My brother is in Stevens Point, and he was telling me about that same fog on opening day ...
This warm weather is something else-dense fog in the river bottoms makes every thicket look the same in the early morning hours.I used reflective tacks and still got turned around.ran about 20 minutes late getting to stand.Heard other reports of the fog not lifting till 11:30 am.on Saturday.

410-er said:
Good Job Old Boy!
Thanks-at 52 I wish I would have started with the flintlock sooner!This my first year has been good ducks ,geese ,turkey,deer,red fox-life is good!
Now if I could get out infront (lead)of those darn grouse(woods rockets)!!!!!

roundball said:
makeumsmoke said:
My first flint lock deer!
This has been a big transition for me,first flint-first round-ball.
This brings the fun back to the deer gun season.
ffff-goex prime

That's outstanding...and I totally understand & agree with all the above...congratulations !
:hatsoff:
Thanks Rounball..you have given very sound advise..the rain fly rifle slip cover worked perfect.
light and quiet. the skys cut lose between 8 and 9 am on Saturday morning. 100% humidity.I just sat and smiled!

lonehunter said:
grats, :thumbsup: wow on public land :shocked2: great job, thanks for sharing :v
Thank you- you raised the bar with 2 in a row!
My brothers(3) and myself started hunting these river bottoms in 1983- we duck hunted them durning October and ran into so many bucks we had to try the deer gun season there.years past we were able to be selective and pass on small bucks-well the state implimented very liberal antlerless seasons starting around 1993 and it's been a downward trend in deer sighting since..I was happy just to see a deer..things change fast!
It used to sound like world war 3 starting on opening day,we were all well off the ground and safe!this year when I was out stumbling-I only saw 3 other hunters and we hunt a large track.

Last edited by a moderator:
50flinter said:
Way to go Dan! May you have many more hunts like that.
Thanks flinter- at 52 If I can squeeze out 15 to 20 more..guess I'll just enjoy the ride!

Jethro224 said:
Good goin' Dan. Grats on your first of many! :hatsoff:
Thank you Jethro-you inspired me to shoot more off hand by kicking my cheese ball butt on the GPR shoot-off. I hunted with the Renegade due to weight and length while stumbling.On Monday and Tuesday I hunted back home around the duck marsh with the GPR-No shots-will get back out after thanksgiving Fri-sat-sun-will mix the deer with duck hunts.Then I will be hunting the Muzzloader season the following week WED-Sunday-oh darn! someones got to doit.Good luck on your next season go get-em!

Great Hunt, and good load data. However, I caution you to NOT use the Hoppes patch lube if the temperature goes below Freezing. Freezing will dry out the patch, and freeze it to the barrel( water turned to ice) Use alcohol as a patch lube if you hunt in below freezing temperatures, or an alcohol Thinned Oil mix for a patch lube. If you make up some of Stumpy's Moose milk, using oil, beeswax, and Murphy's Oil soap, the wax will insure that the oil and soap will Stick in the fabric even below freezing. The amount of oil may be increased as the temperature goes DOWN. Reduce the amount of oil as the temperature rises above 70 degrees.

Our " Global Warming" is fast disappearing this weekend here in the upper Midwest, and you were suppose to be getting snow in Wisconsin, today. Where is AL GORE when I(we) need him to shovel off some of this GLOBAL WARMING on my(our) driveway(s)???? :shocked2: :blah: :rotf: :thumbsup:

Back