• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood carving tools?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryToth

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all;

I'm looking for advice on wood carving tools. On my first rifle, last summer, I kept to very simple incised carving and "got by" with pocket knives and a couple of home made chisels.

I want to do a little better on my next rifle!

I see wood carving tools in a couple of muzzleloader supply house catalogues, but they're mostly over $20 apiece. For the full set, I'm into several hundred dollars!

Also, I see full length tools and palm sized tools. Which do I want?

What is the smart way to do this? Does somebody sell something of quality at a more reasonable price? Or, do I really only need a couple of sizes?

I'm looking for any and all advice!

Thanks in advance,

Jerry.

Jerry-

I was taught a method of using a veiner to outline the area to be relieved, and then gouges and chisels to remove the waste. It doesn't take that many tools. BUT...

I just got to watch a really good craver do a relief carved area on a rifle at a gun maker's fair. His style was to drive the radius gouges vertically into the wood for stab cuts around the relief. He matched the radius of the gouge to the radius of the curve. His style did use more tools, but the stab cuts gave a much cleaner edge.

For this type of carving I do like this medium length chisel and gouge, but I am starting to like a palm gouge in a wide fishtail for some of my rough out.

I have been slowly purchasing Henry Taylor or Pfeil tools from Woodcraft . Yep they are a bit expensive, but I buy one a month, nad it don't hurt nearly as bad! :haha:

Latest posts

Back