• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood chicken. Me and flintlock in hand.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On an afternoon walk in the bitter cold January wind.

Soon bumped into a hunkered down wood chicken, tasty :thumbsup:

Good clean fast ignition. I concentrated on follow through but it was not needed!

B.

Patocazador said:
Did you shoot it on the wing?
A couple of those would make a good meal.
No Sir.
As I crested a rise I spotted it hunkered down in some bramble. I aimed off somewhat so the pattern skirted its head.
I was keen to return to home!
I suffer with psoriasis and sometimes the cold weather causes agony!

B.

Very good! :hatsoff: That smoothie has been serving you well.

If it's cold over there, we can send you some snow to go with it! :wink: :grin:

I was going to get out today as well, but I have my fullstock flint Hawken build to finish up, so decided to spend the day inside. Next Saturday, though, the tree rats had better be on alert! My grandson wants to get out, so I'll have some help getting them to my side of the tree.

That sure wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Nice bird! Some of these hillbillys round these parts call them BIG wood peckers a wood hen. Had a fellow ask me if I ever ate one. Never did(don't want to either) I ask him what they tasted like and he said about like a robin. Go figure :idunno: I stay away from them parts! Can you hear the banjos :rotf: Dan.

Nice bird, more often than not I just take off all the breast meat for pan frying, and give the carcass to the ferrets. Good old Peder trade gun, been the subject of a few discussions on here, love mine.

Hello Mr Lane.
I often just take the breast and legs.
Occasionally I will pluck and roast.

The flintlock brings a grin to my face every time :thumbsup:

B.

Well done, Sir. A very productive short walk! If I don't roast a pheasant whole I like to get two meals out of them by cooking the fileted breasts, and then using the remaining carcass and leg meat to make a delicious soup with carrots, onions, celery, and whatever else is at hand. Great way to use the tougher leg meat. Enjoy!

Arcturus said:
Well done, Sir. A very productive short walk! If I don't roast a pheasant whole I like to get two meals out of them by cooking the fileted breasts, and then using the remaining carcass and leg meat to make a delicious soup with carrots, onions, celery, and whatever else is at hand. Great way to use the tougher leg meat. Enjoy!
That is a good idea!

B :hatsoff:

Britsmoothy said:
Patocazador said:
Did you shoot it on the wing?
A couple of those would make a good meal.
No Sir.
As I crested a rise I spotted it hunkered down in some bramble. I aimed off somewhat so the pattern skirted its head.
B.

You could have fibbed and made all of us go "Oooooh." Would have added to the legend. :wink:

Back