• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood chicken. Me and flintlock in hand.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice photos, but I couldn't be doing with walking around with that loading rod hanging from my side, you obviously have more patience than I do. :hatsoff:

Hello there,It amazes me the different terminology from the different posters, Where I hail from them there birds are called pheasants,used to be lots of them around not so any more, different folks have different reasons for the decline. Take for instance where the bird was spoken to as a woods hen in western Maryland a woods hen is a red headed wood pecker big bird kinda like the cartoon woody the wood pecker. The older folks say they are good eating but I believe they are a protected bird.Any way nice bird and fine looking smooth bore.Good huntin to you Brit and By the way do you hang the bird to age before fixin the vittles.AN APPALACHIAN HUNTER

Very nice, all the way around. Good on ye! :hatsoff:
In the first picture, the flint is almost touching the steel, as it should be at half cock.

I shot 3 ringnecks this year, 2 flying, one on the ground. They mostly run, and I shoot them as I find them.

Brits, you might be interested in a bit from an 1822 book, "An Excursion through the United States and Canada, during the Years 1822-3 by an English Gentleman". It's by Wm. Blane, an experienced English shooter and hunter who spent a couple of years along the Ohio River, hunting with and spending time with backwoodsmen. I believe he is describing his experiences in what would become Illinois in this bit, and with the rifles used in that area.

" In traveling through these Prairies, every one must be struck with the vast number of a species of grouse called “Prairie Fowls”. These very much resemble the Scotch grouse, both in colour, and in being feathered to the feet; but are somewhat larger. They differ however, in this particular, viz. that when disturbed, they will settle upon a fence or tree, if any be near. They are delicious eating, and are killed in great numbers by the unrivalled marksmen of this country. After driving up a flock of these birds, the hunter advances within fifteen or twenty paces, raises his long heavy rifle, and rarely misses striking the bird on the head. I have witnessed over and over again this surprising accuracy, and have fired away numberless pounds of lead in trying to imitate it, but without success. I contented myself therefore with shooting the birds in the body, by which I rather tore and spoilt them. But, however difficult I found it to hit a bird anywhere with a single ball, the Backwoodsmen regarded my unsportsmanlike shooting with as much contempt, as one of our country squires feels, when a cockney shoots at a covey of partridges on the ground."

Spence

Dick Lane said:
Nice photos, but I couldn't be doing with walking around with that loading rod hanging from my side, you obviously have more patience than I do. :hatsoff:
The rod just trails me. Not a problem at all.
Not been using of late mind.

B.

George said:
Brits, you might be interested in a bit from an 1822 book, "An Excursion through the United States and Canada, during the Years 1822-3 by an English Gentleman". It's by Wm. Blane, an experienced English shooter and hunter who spent a couple of years along the Ohio River, hunting with and spending time with backwoodsmen. I believe he is describing his experiences in what would become Illinois in this bit, and with the rifles used in that area.

" In traveling through these Prairies, every one must be struck with the vast number of a species of grouse called “Prairie Fowls”. These very much resemble the Scotch grouse, both in colour, and in being feathered to the feet; but are somewhat larger. They differ however, in this particular, viz. that when disturbed, they will settle upon a fence or tree, if any be near. They are delicious eating, and are killed in great numbers by the unrivalled marksmen of this country. After driving up a flock of these birds, the hunter advances within fifteen or twenty paces, raises his long heavy rifle, and rarely misses striking the bird on the head. I have witnessed over and over again this surprising accuracy, and have fired away numberless pounds of lead in trying to imitate it, but without success. I contented myself therefore with shooting the birds in the body, by which I rather tore and spoilt them. But, however difficult I found it to hit a bird anywhere with a single ball, the Backwoodsmen regarded my unsportsmanlike shooting with as much contempt, as one of our country squires feels, when a cockney shoots at a covey of partridges on the ground."

Spence
:applause: thanks Spence :hatsoff:

B.

R.C.Bingaman said:
Hello there,It amazes me the different terminology from the different posters, Where I hail from them there birds are called pheasants,used to be lots of them around not so any more, different folks have different reasons for the decline. Take for instance where the bird was spoken to as a woods hen in western Maryland a woods hen is a red headed wood pecker big bird kinda like the cartoon woody the wood pecker. The older folks say they are good eating but I believe they are a protected bird.Any way nice bird and fine looking smooth bore.Good huntin to you Brit and By the way do you hang the bird to age before fixin the vittles.AN APPALACHIAN HUNTER
When I was a boy local poachers would always refer to them as "Long Tailed Pigeons".

"They mostly run, and I shoot them as I find them."

Interesting, many years ago I read an article and the author stated that some time in the future, pheasants would not fly.

His rational was Mr. Darwin, and survival of the fittest, pheasants who fly get shot, those who do not fly, and run like heck live. Ground shooting pheasants was considered like shooting ducks on a pond.

Very nice day Brit I have shot but one at a game "farm" and I wouldnt eat it as half the birds were retrieved from the roost live by the dogs...figured they were sick? guys would throwm up and half would fly and get shot and half would fall to the ground! Not ever going back, none up here in the mountains so I may have to take a road trip some day!

For years I thought a prairie chicken was a real bird! When I was "old enough" I learned that pheasants and quail shot on Sunday on Grampa's farm in IN (No Sunday hunting in them days) were referred to a "prairie Chickens" so the kids wouldnt get pop n grampa busted. I learned when I was about 35 that pop n grampa actually did spend the night in jail one sunday! :rotf:

Latest posts

Back