• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood removal tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This may be old news to others but I dreaded the task of shaping the fore stock of my rifle kit( I use the term kit loosly here). But Lo and behold the Stanly sure-form tool to the rescue! This little gem of a tool shapes this curly maple with ease. I know there are better tools for the task out there but this sure-form, my Dremel and some exacto blades have sure carried me a long way during this stock hacking operation.

your right the shurform is one of the best tools for
removeing wood fast.but in the hands of the inexperienced
it could be disastrous...they now come in all radius
and even round. i usually follow the shurform with a
(hand raised tooth) file, there hard to find but they
really clean up the wood great. if any one out their knows
where to get them please post. mine is about seventy years
old and i need a new one. ps.keep away from metal, way to
soft, and course.
wpalongrifle

I'll go alog with the surforms and the Dremel.I have the router attachment and makes lockplate inleting very fast.I also made a jig for the barrel channel.Another good tool for roughing in are hoof files.Don't know what a raised tooth file is.Did You check Brownells or Rockwells? :: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hey gordy,
i've checked most major file suppliers, can't find one
as for hand raised tooth, some lucky guy or gal using
some kind of chisel, by hand raises each cutting tooth.
mkes for a more agressive wood file/rasp that lasts a
long time. thanks, wpalongrifle

If you search file sharpening, there is a guy who sharpens files here. Maybe he could make that 70 yo file new.

What did you mean by "stay away from metal"?

Never mind, I got your drift. I bought some hand raised files from Harbor freight. In less than an inch of width there were maybe 8 teeth tops. What I didn't like about these was that the teeth were pretty much lined up along the file's long axis. They work OK but need to be used at an angle. I'm sure your 70 yo file is better. These are made in China.

I gained a lot of respect for the Shurform watching an experienced body man work some Bondo. Half hardened, it came off like spaghetti. Says a lot for watching how zealously you use it.

I like Surform rasps, too. The flat one doesn't cut very well, but the one with a slight radius cuts much better. I also use the round one some.

what your looking for is Vixen file. there for soft metal.they look like an auto body file. at times you can find them on e-bay or Brownells...if you ever use one you'll throw the sureform away!

If you want the ultimate tool, Makita makes a small hand held belt sander that runs a belt about 24x 1 or 1 1/2 belt. I watched the owner of Long Hammock barrels build a half stock complete, less the finish in 5 hrs using one of these. He was running a 36 grit belt for the rough out, and a finer to finish to the hand sand stage. Awesome!

I use the surform but realy like the horseshoe rasp even after the farrier discards it as too dull for his work it's great for shaping wood. One side cuts about like the surform but the other side is like the hand raised file and will cut the wood fast. I have several friends who are knifemakers and have the belt sanders used for knifes. They can shape a stock from a blank in minutes.

The best wood removal system I've seen is...

beaver.jpg

Say, isn't that bob1961's custom maple stock? :haha: :winking:

hhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you crack me up............bob

high quality files and rasps can be found at www,woodcraft.com the microplane shaping tools should work well on stocks.

Latest posts

Back