• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Flints:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Did you know that wooden flints were given to the soldiers at Valley Forge by order of General Von Steuben?

These wooden flints were affixed into the jaws of the hammer instead of a real flint for learning the manual of arms.

uni-19.jpg

This saves the real flint and prolongs the life of the frizzen.

For drill purposes, the regular flint is removed from the musket jaws, and the wooden flint is substituted.

This enables the musket to fully function( except for firing) during the drill without wearing down the steel of the battery, (a.k.a. the frizzen). It is important for the drill instructor to hear the click of the musket firing to determine if the squad is firing in unison.

Wooden flints are simply small squares of hardwood, approximately the same size as a musket flint. They are easily made from scrap wood, and were probably made up as needed in the field from boxes and barrels used for shipping.

This can still be done today with any flintlock, shooters new to flintlocks might want to try a few, just to get some needed lock time in...

I wonder if a reference George Washington's teeth could be worked in here?

I forgot to...

OK, his teeth didn't fit well, every time he sneezed he had to yell "TIMBER"...

So they took his buck teeth and made wooden flints out of them...

Thanks Haggis, after all, I have a repertation to keep up...

WOODEN you just know they wuz gonna be puns? It's enough to give a fellar SAWDUST on the brain. They ain't no way to TREE ol Muskeetman when hit comes to puns. Why shucks, we might as well LEAF him alone....don't want to stunt his GROWTH RINGS. At least he ain't BARKing up the wrong tree.

What if Washington's teeth were made of deer antlers?

Ol' George would have BUCK TEETH.... :D

Anyway, how 'bout those wooden flints?
Something else, aren't they...

Are you sure they weren't to be used as splints for broken flints :: :: You know like a broken leg.

I've used wooden flints for years, great for offhand practice, also found them to be a great aide in testing locks during tuning. I didn't realize other people made them too.

If a fella was to fix a wooden "frizzen" to his lock_ as well as a wooden "flint" in tha jaws___ wooden this still "fire" a rifle"?? (usen the same principle as a "fire bow") ::

Back