• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

woods stelth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[I am looking for glimpses of deer parts. A leg, tine, an ear flick, the line of a back, a tail, etc.

I look for horizontal lines. Everything growing in the woods grows vertically, deer not so much. If you locate a horizontal line, look to both ends of it and often you will see an ear move, confirming your suspicions. Any movement not caused by the wind gets my attention.....robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Horizon line.....is the reason I never sit on a log. If I sit down it's up against a tree. When I was growing up, my school bus driver was sitting on a log, when another hunter shot and killed him.

Today we have orange and hunter's education, but to this day, I never sit on a log.

I learned to walk and stop, walk and stop and listen. Trudging along in a non stop pattern is not natural sounds. Squirrels make a lot of noise, but broken into stop and go patterns.

I even where my hearing aids when hunting to improve my poor hearing that developed as I have gotten older due to too much shooting without ear protection, noisy machinery and childhood ear infections. I want to hear as best as I can when in the woods.

Wear hearing protection you guys where it is practical.

Blaze "O" ------ I hate it. I never liked "camo" either. I have always wanted to be non conspicuous in the woods. Never wanted other hunters or game to see me----- or hear me. I once had another hunter walk past me and step right over my gun butt and pass me as I sat tight against a tree without him seeing me before "BO" was required. BTW, one hour later I killed a nice turkey right in other hunters tracks. Some guys wear blue jeans in the early warm seasons in VA. You can see them 1/2 mile away.

Blaze "O" ------ I hate it. I never liked "camo" either. I have always wanted to be non conspicuous in the woods. Never wanted other hunters or game to see me----- or hear me

I do not care much for blaze orange either, but I know for a fact that deer cannot see it. I had the wind in my face as I sat on a log and I had a doe walk within four feet of me and did not recognize me. I am not sure about squirrels but I suspect that they don't see in color either. BTW, about five minutes after the doe left, two turkeys came down the same path, took one look at me, and turned around and went back the way they had came......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had partridge's walk right across my lap while sitting in my open air ground blind! Squirrel's sitting on my resting gun barrel's! Deer so close, all I can do is wait for them to move away before I can cock my rifle to full cock! This thread on stealth keeps bringing back memories of one of my favorite scenes from the movie "Outlaw Jose Wales". Where ole Jose sneaks up on Chief Dan George! :haha:

I try really hard to be quiet cause that's how I was taught. one or two steps at a time. my biggest problem is my eye sight, it gets worse at a rapid pace and I only have one eye so I don't have the depth perception needed to pick out standing game, shadows don't look the same to me now as they did before I lost my eye. no depth perception is dangerous to, I stepped off of a 8 or ten foot ledge about 15 years ago, it looked like six inches to me, I cant even go down stairs without hanging on to the hand rail if it is more than 3 or 4 steps.

creek

"You got anything to eat???". "All I got is a piece of rock candy---- but it ain't for eatin, its for lookin thru". I love this movie. Have had birds, squirrels and other things sit or crawl on me,and "HUNTERS" almost step on me without seeing me or spooking. Once shot a deer no more than 4' from my bbl. and the first elk no more 8' away.

Back