• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WOOT! My backup pistol is in!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Ironsights

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If there is one thing I hate, it's trying to tell .457 balls from .490 balls when they get all mixed up in your possibles bag.

Yet I like to carry a pistol when I go out with my Flint. :hmm:

Solution? Upgrade the Revolver to .490! :shocked2:

Behold!

50caloa.jpg

(My personal pics coming forthwith)

The perfect match to my Stainless Flintlock! :grin:

Throws a .490 rb at 1250fps when using 50gr 777.

I'm going to see how it fares using .014-.009 sifted BP (about 3.5F) :winking:

Who did your .50 conversion, Big Iron? That's a nice setup and quite a good match for your rifle! I'm still trying to find a good deal on the Uberti stainless target model. Then I'll have two. Whichever is most accurate will stay .44 and the other will get the .50 conversion. I can't wait to hear how yours shoots! Let us know. :)

Plink said:
Who did your .50 conversion, Big Iron? That's a nice setup and quite a good match for your rifle! I'm still trying to find a good deal on the Uberti stainless target model. Then I'll have two. Whichever is most accurate will stay .44 and the other will get the .50 conversion. I can't wait to hear how yours shoots! Let us know. :)
Clements Custom Guns ([url] http://clementscustomguns.com/[/url] )

It's a bit onthe steep side, but I saved for it for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, I enjoy traditional muzzler rifles and pistols but I'm a plum fool for C&P revolvers.
Did this conversion require a new cylinder or just ream the original?
Do you have any problem with leading of the barrel at that velocity? I've shot pure lead with my ROA using hot loads with no problems, and leading is easily cleaned if it does occur anyways. As a back-up when hunting (hogs/bear) a cylinder full shot through shoud not be a problem anyway - should it?
I've been using a .25 acp caseful of 4f underneath 3f as a 'priming' charge (definitely hotter load, but groups open up some) with no ill effects, in my '58 Rem also, haven't screwed up nerve enuff to use a .32 acp caseful yet. Anyone have thoughts pro/con on this?

Blizzard of '93 said:
Thanks for posting, I enjoy traditional muzzler rifles and pistols but I'm a plum fool for C&P revolvers.
Did this conversion require a new cylinder or just ream the original?

New Barrel & new 5-shot cylinder. All new Timing.

Do you have any problem with leading of the barrel at that velocity? I've shot pure lead with my ROA using hot loads with no problems, and leading is easily cleaned if it does occur anyways.

I never chrony'd my ROA in .45, but Iknow it was shooting significantly faster than the .45LC 950fps "Cowboy" loads I pushed through it with a Kirst Cartridge Converter. Leading was never an issue. All Hail Good Lube.

As a back-up when hunting (hogs/bear) a cylinder full shot through shoud not be a problem anyway - should it?

No, the gun isn't likely to gum up in one cilinder, nor would "oh manure!" accuracy really be affected in 5 shots of leading. I would be sure to have a really tight seat on the ball to keep it from potentially jumping & binding to the forcing cone though.

I've been using a .25 acp caseful of 4f underneath 3f as a 'priming' charge (definitely hotter load, but groups open up some) with no ill effects, in my '58 Rem also, haven't screwed up nerve enuff to use a .32 acp caseful yet. Anyone have thoughts pro/con on this?

I wouldn't suggest using 4F in anything but a Ruger. My .45 cylinder would allow me to shove between 32 & 35gr 3f behind a ball and 31(ish) behind a 200gr REAL. That had plenty of poop and was certainly "minute of Hog" at 50yds.

I went the .490 route mostly to standardize bullets since I'm only getting an extra .036 bullet diameter anyway... but the extra cylinder capacity IS rather nice... :grin:

SWEET!!!! Let us know how it does...If ya get tired of it...let the yooper know....

The folks at Big Iron Barrels makes a 5 shot .58 conversion also. If I remember the stats they quoted, it was a 440 grain bullet pushed at 1200 fps for 1400 ft/lb energy. That puts it in the high end of .44 magnum power! After they've been on the market a while, and assuming they haven't blown up too many shooters, I might take the plunge. That'd be a nice backup to a .58 rifle.

You don't have that confused with '58 instead of '.58' do you? a .58 caliber revolver would definitely be a handful, but I would love it, I'll shoot anything I can pick up :haha:

I too have heard of their .58 caliber cap and ball conversions. The ballistics are more in the modern .500 Linebaugh catagory. That is real packin power in a cap and ball. This would make a viable cap and ball bear defense gun.

I think the Taylor KO value would put it in a higher catagory of power that a comparison to the muzzle energy.

Blizzard, it's a .58 caliber conversion. Great ballistics too. I believe it's done on Dragoons and Walkers that they modify the frame making it a solid one piece.

When you consider bullet weight, that's definately in the .500 Linebaugh range alright. Garret makes .44 magnum loads that are in the same energy range, but that's with a smaller, 340 grain bullet. I'm stunned at that kind of performance from a BP revolver though. I think I remember them using sifted 777 to get that much power.

Will make a nice match for my 58 Rice barrel on order for February delivery :)

Back