• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Workbenches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to see what you guys use to clamp your work to have both hands free while working. Preferably some home made more traditional DIY jobbies? A normal engineers vice is probably not a good idea as it might exert to much pressure on the wood? :idunno:

I use a standard bench with a 6" swivel base vise (does not tilt).. I did make two adjustable rests to either side using pipe clamps for the height adjustment with pipe and maple on top of those... I will get a pic

I built this bench last year. It works pretty good.I used a simple wood working vice. Also, I C-clamp supports where I need them.

RobustBenchDec12_2008.jpg

Heres one of mine .Two foot by eight foot long with an outrigger at center sticking out about two foot with a eight inch wood working vise .To each side are supports that are retractable made from square tubing.I do most of my work setting down and have a high swivel chair .

BucksCoSmthRfl001.jpg

Looking good. Thanks for showing. :hatsoff: Helps me a lot in forming an idea about building my own. :bow:

I've posted this before.Notice my vice has wood jaws on one end and metal jaws on the other.The metal jaws are higher than the wood when in use which makes it nice for fileing.When the wood jaws are used the adjustable arms on both sides support the rifle on both sides.

Mitch
IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

here is my simple bench.

P2240029.jpg

I copied the wood clamps from somewhere on here. Eventually I'll change out to a metal vise. I just need to figure out how to make it easily removable because the bench doubles as a work bench in my garage.

This workbench is screwed to the wall and floor....have a very "heavy hand". Outboard angled supports both ends to accommodate the swivel vise {rifle}.

P3140013.jpg

Here's one of the racks...typical but not current.

P1010039.jpg

I have mine bolted down too... if I didn't it would chase me around the shape :haha:

Heres an angled shot showing the wood vise position better. I built a little box behind for most used items so they wouldnt end up on floor.I lagged mine to wall also but being made of oak it doesnt bounce much .On left side of bench you can just make out part of the other smaller vise I have mounted so it opens verticaly. Comes in handy at times .

BucksCoSmthRfle.jpg

Thanks for all the pics guys. :bow: :bow: :hatsoff: You all got some impressive tooling to your disposal. :thumbsup:

Its really awesome to see the rifles in the photos in various stages of completion. :grin:

This is my temporary setup. I am going to be emptying out my shop in the next few weeks to pour a concrete floor. My shop was originally intended as a 10x16 shed on blocks because occasionally we get some flooding from the crick out back. But adding machines and a good bit of weight is causing the floor to bow, and one day I feer that everything will be laying in the middle of the floor on its side or on top of me :shake: So I am planning on filling in with some stone and pouring a 6" floor.

I have some nice 3x5 oak boards that scavenged from a big generator shipping crate. I am going to put them together to make a really heavy duty bench.

2-2010004.jpg

Got to "LOVE" those Kennedy tool boxes.I just move my tools up north and still have my pops Kennedy box it 45 years old and going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that second one. May have to include one in the new shop layout :hmm:

Latest posts

Back