• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wormholes in old Powder Horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had some success with 5 minute [clear], two-part epoxy, -mixed with some material [horn/bone dust, powdered nut shells, etc.] to match color. When cured, carefully scrape/buff to a uniform finish. Fairly simple if the hole does'nt go all the way thru or if its a raw horn, still in process. Thru holes in original horns require a thicker blend of fill and alot more finesse.
~Longshot

I have a grand old orginial that has three worm holes in it that were repaired at some point. They seem to have used lead formed to the hole size and pecked into the hold. Actually looks pretty neat the way it was done. Id peg with lead (seems to be period), plug with wood,or even work out a plug from other horn. If need be, drill the hole out round, match a rounded plug from other horn, and peck in, scrape to match and you'd be good to go. DO NOT try to pour hot lead or hot pewter on cowhorn!! Cowhorn is merely hair and will deteriorate under the heat of molten lead or pewter.

Story,
If I were a horn builder, which i'm not, and
if after scaping and sanding I found they didn't
go thru I would leave them. Of course if your
intention is to sell it I can see where a buyer
may not like them. Just an opinion.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Back