• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would somebody be so kind as to help me identify this Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narfrederick

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me identify this gun and maybe give me some friendly information about it's history.

I had bought this gun several years ago and was told it was an 18th-Century boarding gun. Now, I am not a proficient gun collector, I collect items from the 18th-Century but I felt a little unsure of this being a boarding gun, it looks like a coach gun to me. I went to an auction house to have it looked at and I was told it was, indeed, a boarding gun and it had been modified (?). At least, the barrel was original, I think he was trying to explain.
I didn't get too much information as they were only willing to speak further if I wanted to sell it.
I noticed there isn't a trigger, at least, not a standard one. What in the heck is this?

Basically, can anyone help clear the air and tell me if this gun is really a boarding gun, potential dates and who the maker is? My intention was to loan it out to a museum for education purposes, but if it's really a unique piece or interesting I'd like to have some information about it to pass along.

Thank you!

20240813_212413.jpg

20240813_212433.jpg
20240813_212447.jpg
20240813_212536.jpg

Sorry I can't help you, but that's a mighty interesting flintlock firearm, so I'm just posting to watch and see if somebody can answer. Thanks ....

If it were a boarding gun I would expect it to be of a fairly large caliber, over .50. It looks like the rear of the trigger guard was sawed off which would make it a liability in combat as it could be easily bent jamming the trigger. In reality it probably would not have been reloaded in boarding.

If it were a boarding gun I would expect it to be of a fairly large caliber, over .50. It looks like the rear of the trigger guard was sawed off which would make it a liability in combat as it could be easily bent jamming the trigger. In reality it probably would not have been reloaded in boarding.
So, it is definitely an odd gun. What other purpose could a gun like this really be for given the trigger guard?

Sent a request for Nit wit to join in the discussion. He should be able to help. He'll help in letting you know what information would be helpful, etc. Removing the lock to see what they did to the trigger may help ... but let Nit wit discuss that with you. Think blanket gun
possibly ...whatever it is/was it's been modified.

My guess is that’s it’s an attempt at making an “antique gun” using various parts. The stock looks crazy, with huge gaps between the stock and barrel, which looks cast from that photo. The lock is set in too deep and the cock/tumbler screw looks crude compared with the rest of the lock. This one could probably be taken apart and looked over to get a good idea of what’s going on. What does the side plate look like?
That trigger lever makes you wonder if it’s designed for someone who’s lost bunch of fingers 😝

Last edited:
Why does it look like there are rivets on the top of the barrel holding the engraving down?

Also, what is up with the screw for the hammer jaw?

Looks like someone cobbled a gun. What caliber? It just doesn't look right to me.
Nit Wit
Thank you for your input. I'm afraid my inexperience is showing, I am unsure of the caliber.
I agree that it does look... off, but, yet again, I'm inexperienced so take my opinion for what it's worth.

But what mostly sticks out to you?

My guess is that’s it’s an attempt at making an “antique gun” using various parts. The stock looks crazy, with huge gaps between the stock and barrel, which looks cast from that photo. The lock is set in too deep and the cock/tumbler screw looks crude compared with the rest of the lock. This one could probably be taken apart and looked over to get a good idea of what’s going on. What does the side plate look like?
That trigger lever makes you wonder if it’s designed for someone who’s lost bunch of fingers 😝
You've actually jogged my memory a bit while I was thinking about your response - I recall the auction house telling me it was the barrel that was original and he believed the design work on it was something to "pass the time" on a ship. 🤷‍♀️ Which I am far past believing at this point. He did say the previous owner looked to have made repairs and/or built the gun from antique parts but it was hard to decipher if all was from the original gun.
If I could take it apart I would love to see what it looks like. I would also like to know if the man had fingers - this trigger is weird.

One side plate coming up.

Attachments

• 20240815_205950.jpg
    20240815_205950.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240815_210027.jpg
    20240815_210027.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Why does it look like there are rivets on the top of the barrel holding the engraving down?

Also, what is up with the screw for the hammer jaw?
That may be a trick of the light.

Here's a better picture of the screw, it does look a little strange.

Attachments

• 20240815_211528.jpg
    20240815_211528.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
IMO, a Boarding gun would be a very basic, short, Easly used musket or blunderbuss.
All of the engraving on the barbell says to me this was a wealthy person, anti-boarding gun, just my opinion

Thank you for your input. I'm afraid my inexperience is showing, I am unsure of the caliber.
I agree that it does look... off, but, yet again, I'm inexperienced so take my opinion for what it's worth.

But what mostly sticks out to you?

What sticks out to me is that it is a non-firing wall-hanger sold in tourist stores or bazaars abroad, and cheap decor stores in the First World.

You've actually jogged my memory a bit while I was thinking about your response - I recall the auction house telling me it was the barrel that was original and he believed the design work on it was something to "pass the time" on a ship. 🤷‍♀️ Which I am far past believing at this point. He did say the previous owner looked to have made repairs and/or built the gun from antique parts but it was hard to decipher if all was from the original gun.
If I could take it apart I would love to see what it looks like. I would also like to know if the man had fingers - this trigger is weird.

One side plate coming up.
Narfrederick: The procedure for taking the rifle apart isn't all that complicated. Thier are just few screws holding everything together.
The lock is held in by one of the two screws on the other side (side plate) of the lock. I don't see pins holding the barrel in place so the second screw on the side plate might sever that purpose. Just be careful to note what you removed so you can put it back in place. The screw in the long bar/tang at the top of the stock holds the barrel in place. Normally there is a swage or pins in addition that go through the front portion of the stock that also holds down the barrel as well .... I can't see the pin holes but that might be just the pictures. Also there appears to a pin or rivet at the end of the lock ...?? You'll have to play that one. To determine Caliber just take a ruler if you don't have a set of calibers
and take your best shot at measuring the bore of the barrel ...close will be helpful. Have a Great day... WZ

Last edited:
I don’t believe identifying it is necessary this is someone’s home creation of what they attempted to make at some point.

From both pictures that show the pan, I've noticed that there is no way to keep the powder from falling out the end. It's not so much a pan as a scoop. I think you bought a cobbled-up wall hanger here, and I hope it didn't cost much.

Just curious which auction house you took it. Some are better with antique arms than others. Morphy's is the only one in PA that I think would have the right expertise. If you're close to York, there's a show in September that will have a room full of people with some expertise.
Just on pictures, looks like a mix of parts.

Back