• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you trust these threads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jethroat

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'll try to keep the backstory short. Was given this TC renegade from my (step) grandpa's estate. The person who passed it to me I trusted to know what was what, and so I didn't think twice about using the pack of nipples they gave me. A few years pass and I decide to get it sighted in before WI deer season.

On my third or fourth shot, I feel some sort of blowback, I'm dazed for a moment and then realize my hat is 5 feet behind me, the hammer has been thrown backwards denting the stock, and there is no longer a nipple in the gun. I looked and never found the nipple. Yikes, that pack of nipples was for a tradition's or some other brand, and I now have a problem on my hands.

I took to investigating. The tumbler was shattered, and I read about oversized nipples from TOW. I ordered a new lock, and a .005 and .010 oversized nipples. I was able to get the .010 nipple threaded, and I've attached some photos below. Would you trust these threads with a hunting load? Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

P.s. I've already checked a for a squib, and I do not see any bulging
PXL_20240930_025548323.jpg
PXL_20240930_025516872.jpg
PXL_20240930_025544947.jpg
PXL_20240930_025508205.jpg
PXL_20240930_025459793.jpg

Threads on gun and nipple have to match. I wouldn't use an oversized nipple unless the drum has been oversized.

The one that took your hat might have been way undersized, else there wouldn't be much thread left in the drum. Most TC are 1/4-28 out of the factory so check to see if that's still the case.

Threads on gun and nipple have to match. I wouldn't use an oversized nipple unless the drum has been oversized.

The one that took your hat might have been way undersized, else there wouldn't be much thread left in the drum. Most TC are 1/4-28 out of the factory so check to see if that's still the case.
It definitely was 1/4-28. But that nipple that ejected took "the point" off the threads in the drum. At the time I initially researched (a few years ago, I'm just now revisiting this project) I was recommended to just buy and oversized nipple and thread it in.

I'm just concerned about the thread engagement at this point.
tracks oversize nipples are made to use their oversize taps. they are not self tapping threads. ;)
I did not know that, maybe I should get that tap, so that it does not gall the threads

No, don’t use that nipple and the breech threads are not to be trusted! You need a machinist or gunsmith to do the job or risk losing another hat or far worse.

Back