• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would your pipe be in your possibles bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzkat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I understand this is likely a French made civil war era briarwood pipe. The head of a Zouave.
Saw him at auction and couldn't resist the wrinkled brow. He was heavily smoked, the bowl
shows much useage. I wish he could tell me his
story.
Zouave.jpg

That is a wonderful carving! Looks like it might have a skull cap which makes me wonder if it is meant to be Cardinal Richelieu (Three Musketeers). If it is Civil War era, it might have had an amber mouthpiece.

Jeff

Beautiful pipe...I keep my pipe and pouch of tobacco in a small linen bag in my haversack top pouch for easy access...also have a tin with some hand rolled cigars in there :thumbsup:

Beautiful pipes like that almost make me want to start smoking. But seriously...why would someone want to smoke out of Cardinal Richelieu's head....even back in the day?

vtbuck223 said:
Beautiful pipes like that almost make me want to start smoking. But seriously...why would someone want to smoke out of Cardinal Richelieu's head....even back in the day?

I lean toward zoauve soldier head. They were common on meershaums in the day

I like the simple clay pipes, but they're sure fragile. I've finally settled on a pouch for pipe and tobacco hanging around my neck for easy access and a measure of protection. As handy as a "neck knife," but it gets more use.

I agree with Brown Bear...I like the clay pipes, but they do get pretty hot to hold by the bowl some times and are fragile...very irritating when you finally get back into camp after hunting all day and go to pull out your pipe and its broke...although I buy several at a time so I have strategically placed back-ups... :thumbsup:

I have a pouch that I keep in my jacket breast pocket with a pipe, a small amount of tobacco and a small match holder of my great grandfathers....I love the idea of the neck laynard pouch, gonna experiment with that...thanks for the idea BB, any chance you have a few pictures of it?????

A traditional solution to protecting your fragile clay pipes would be a simple carved wooden pipe case, such as these:

pipecases1.jpg

I made a belt pouch for mine, pipe, (Petersons of Dublin briar) and what ever tobaccos I'm usin. It keeps it all from getting in the way when I'm shooting and yet keeps it all handy when I'm not worried bout scaring the wild life.
As to tobacco, I am rather forn of Navy Flake and Penzance flake (Modeled latikia flake)

Could you post how you made these pipe cases?

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

That is an awsome pipe. If you don't mind saying ! What did you have to pay at auction for it? Mudd Turtle. I have the same pipe.

hobowonkanobe said:
I made a belt pouch for mine, pipe, (Petersons of Dublin briar) and what ever tobaccos I'm usin. It keeps it all from getting in the way when I'm shooting and yet keeps it all handy when I'm not worried bout scaring the wild life.
As to tobacco, I am rather forn of Navy Flake and Penzance flake (Modeled latikia flake)

How are you storing your tobacco? I want to put together a pipe bag to take into the field but I was worried my tobacco would dry out. My first thought is a largish shoe polish tin but I figure there has to be a more period way of doing it.

Back