• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

x ray lead sheeting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sent an e mail to an out of town friend, telling him among other things I was thinking about casting my own bullets.
He told me last year he gave away several 8 foot rolls of lead that came out of a hospital x ray lab.
His father in law is in construction and gave it to him. He said it sat in his garage for a couple of years gathering dust till he gave it away to another friend. Said he would have given it to me if he had known :(

Just wondering, would it be safe to use that material having been exposed to al that radiation? Don't want to seem like a worry-wort but I don't think the issue has been addressed. Billy

The X Ray lead is perfectly fine to use for bullets. It has been exposed to radiation only not radioactive particles. The particulates are the long term contaminates.

X-Ray protection lead is best possible lead for expanding miniè conicals. :bow:
Its so soft, once I dropped a conical on wooden floor and the side of the skirt was banged flat.
Its also very clean, almost no contermination from other metals or dirt.

But I am not sure if I would use lead that soft for round ball, I think a hard load would flatten it out so much that accuracy suffers. I want my conicals soft, but my balls as hard as possible! :grin:

sheet lead is the best to cast with. it's dead soft.
there shoudn't be any radiation hazard with yours X-rays won't penetrate lead at all.

Molloch, have used xray room lead for rb's with no problem...I grab it when I can...have an acquaintance whose son is in the business of building or repairing the rooms....Hank

Back