• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

yesterday's hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.flintlock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was hunting yesterday and at 9:40 I had a doe approaching my stand from the right. She was walking slowly her tail was at half mast and she kept looking around. She would sometimes look back. She stopped about 35 yards from me and looked back again. She was acting like she was being followed by a buck. She finally turned and walked back in the direction she came from and disappeared.Maybe she and a buck will return today.

I've had that happen on a number of occasions and shooting the doe(s) did nothing to alarm the bucks. Happens again; punch her ticket.

hanshi, a few years ago I was hunting a creek bottom and a doe was walking by and I cocked my rifle and set the trigger. It was in the high 20s that morning and my fingers were numb. I caught some movement behind her and it was a big old buck. As he approached the front of my stand I was preparing to shoot him and accidently touched the trigger and the gun went boom. That buck ran in a circle came back and put his nose right back on her trail. I was putting powder and ball down that barrel as fast as I could but I was not fast enough.

That's awful. I can't say it's never happened to me, either. Often in this situation I end up with both buck and doe but only because I don't see the buck and don't want the doe to get away. If you see the buck, yes, pop him first. Good luck next hunt.

Back