• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yet another range-session, CVA .45 "Frontier" rifle...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is one I picked-up abt 2 years ago at a Pawn Shop for $60... it was a kit-gun that the previous owner never got around to finishing.

This is a half-stock rifle built along the lines of a Hawken...

It had a loose front sight, and no under-rib or ramrod thimbles.

I scrounged up some spare parts I had laying around and got it into useable shape.

Now, in my defense, the stock-wood was very plain, and had been left way too blonde for my tastes... if I had to guess, it looked like beech, so I gave it a new finish, along with a "rope-burn" camo job.

I wouldn't do this to a nice piece of Circassian or any decent wood!
Frontier1.jpg

This gun seems to like a tight load, I'm using a .445 Hornady RB, a .020 patch and 50 gns of FFF grade Triple 7.

Not the most powerful load, as you can see, but I'll try to take a whitetail with it this fall. I'll try to keep my shots under 60 yds...
Frontier2.jpg

And here's the obligatory 60 yd group... 5 shots with no swabbing.
Frontier3.jpg

Not exactly a tack-driving powerhouse, but I'm having some fun with it!

Hoping to bag my first PRB deer with it soon, wish me luck!

HH All!
Skillet

You've made a fine looking there.
My Frontier came about the same way. I used Aquafortis to give the stock some color.
I've gotten 1" groups @ 25yards with 45gr Goex 3F. Haven't shot it again to work at different yardages. For a budget rifle, they can shoot.

targets.jpg

My T/C 50 with a 1-48 twist barrel is still hitting better than I can hold it. 490 prb.

My T/C with a new 54 cal. GM barrel with a 1-72 twist is breaking is very well. 530 prb.

a .45 cal will do fine on whitetail with good shot placement.
you might try an over powder felt and/or grits to check if you can up the powder charge without loseing accuracy. this will prevent 'patch blowing'.

rightous price for a plainjane but serviceable rifle. don't hesitate to take some of the money you saved and spend it on Dutch Schoultz' system. also, don't be afraid to drop or lower the powder charge. getting close to bambi is half the fun, and a .45 will put meat in the freezer if you 'hold up your end of the log.'

enjoy! (and welcome to the smoke crazed... try a flinter for your next one)

Looks like a good rifle for the $$$,I have seen some of these "budget" rifles shoot quite well
:thumbsup:

Blizzard of 93 said:
a .45 cal will do fine on whitetail with good shot placement.
you might try an over powder felt and/or grits to check if you can up the powder charge without loseing accuracy. this will prevent 'patch blowing'.

I agree with Blizzard's comment. My favorite deer rifle is a .45. Enjoy.

Hello from Germany!

A real nice rifle and nice grouping, too! I would recommend a higher charge, about 90 grs FFg or volume equivalent of Pyrodex RS. Furthermore use a overpowderwad and do some testing with maxiballs.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Latest posts

Back