• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yippee!!! I'm gonna hunt in Kentucky!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I finalized plans to hunt Southern Kentucky with a few friends today! :hatsoff:

I have never hunted them in another state, so, am considering this a mini adventure. Due to some scheduling conflicts, I think we will only hunt the opening weekend, but, I can't wait!

Can any of you let me know what to expect? We will be hunting near Tompkinsville. Is this really rugged terrain or rolling hills? Lots of pressure? Any information appreciated.

Best regards, Skychief :hatsoff:

Skychief said:
I finalized plans to hunt Southern Kentucky with a few friends today! :hatsoff:

I have never hunted turkey in another state except Wisconsin long ago, so, am considering this a mini adventure. Due to some scheduling conflicts, I think we will only hunt the opening weekend, but, I can't wait!

Can any of you let me know what to expect? We will be hunting near Tompkinsville. Is this really rugged terrain or rolling hills? Lots of pressure? Any information appreciated.

Best regards, Skychief :hatsoff:

Been thru there awhile back.
You will be just north of Tennessee and West of the mountain range. Don't recall it being to rugged. Heavily wooded in some areas. Looks to be good hunting area though.

Congrats.

You didn't say what you will be hunting ... deer?, elk?, .....? :idunno:

EDIT: Sorry, I saw in your 2nd post that it said turkey. Good luck.

I've never hunted in the area, but did some fishing and boating on Dale Hollow Reservoir many years ago. The lake area is pretty hilly and broken. Tompkinsville is just a bit west of the range of hills along the Cumberland river, as I recall, and the land has begin to flatten out there a bit.

Google "Tompkinsville turkey hunters", select Images, and there are a few pictures of the terrain.

Congratulations, looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Spence

Mostly rolling hills, farm land and pastures, There should be plenty enough turkeys to go around especially on opening weekend. Two things you must do while in Tville, go to Dovie's and get a hamburger. Burgers come two ways, Squzz and unsquzz, they have kept some of the grease that these have been fried in since back in the 50's. I usually get them unsquzz, they are fried in grease anyway. They also have the coldest best milk of anywhere around, probably whole milk instead of that scared water that everybody drinks nowdays. Gamaliel shooting supply is nearby also, definitely worth going out of the way to visit. If everyone in your group tag out on the first day there is the Corvette museum about an hour away with 2 cars still in the sinkhole, way better to visit than the world's largest ball of string. Hope you have a good hunting trip. I hunt near Glasgow ky on public hunting land about 30 minutes from Tville, got a 22 pounder last year on opening day with a 12 gauge muzzleloader from 15 steps away.

If going w/good guys, you can expect a good time. :)

You never know w/the weather or if they will be henned-up, but I am sure you will have a great time and hope they are gobbling their butts off!

I used to hunt about an hour from there and had GREAT success.

:hatsoff:
Wess

Thanks to you all for the replies and well wishes. I just can't wait!!! I saw a gobbler strutting for seven hens on a farm that I hunt this afternoon. It's hard to imagine, but, this is the first bird I have seen strutting this year.

I walked to a field edge near home this evening to see what was what. Two Jake's were rambling around looking for a soybean or a worm or some other morsel.

We had light Spring like rain today and 50 degrees, so, it feels more like Spring with each passing day. Thank you Jesus!

Can't wait for a crack with "Ole Betsy" at a Bluegrass Tom. If not, I'm gonna have a great hunt with great friends regardless. Heck, from what I hear, we may not be able to haul all the mushrooms back to Indiana in just two trucks! :shocked2: I think we may even find ourselves on Dale Hollow lake, floating on a big pontoon with fishin' poles traded for our smoke poles!!!! Ready for this adventure to begin... :thumbsup:

All the best boys, Skychief.

Back