• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your favorite hunting bullet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyman (not Hornady) great plains bullet. 450grain flat nosed maxi in .54 cal, over powder wad. Very impressive.

I have both barrels for my GPR, one 1:32 twist for maxis, the other 1:66 twist for roundballs (cast 0.535) . The whole lot pulls apart and stores nicely in a short case. Perfect for travel.

A Maxi if the rifle will shoot it other wise Round ball. Doesn't bother me in the least to fire a Maxi in a flintlock. :) Larry

Patched round ball in all of mine also. I have suppository guns if I need/want something other than a RB, but a few of them do fine with a RB also.

traditional man said:
What are your favorite hunting bullets mini ball, maxi, REAL bullet, round ball. I know some rifles shoot better with different bullets.

Hand cast .535 PRB with a .015 prelubed patch over 90 grains of FFg.

Again PRB, I think the Flintlock Gods would curse me for the rest of my life if I shot a conical out of it. :nono:

Trench said:
I shoot flintlocks, and so stick with a patched ball. I am told one goes to muzzleloader hell if you shoot a conical out of a flintlock. :wink:

I guess i've paved my path to hell because until i can find a rb that penetrates as well as my .54 cal 400 to 480 gr maxi's on large critters from any angle, i intend to keep on keepin' on. :v

I see your from central PA. I am not trying to be a wise guy but what kind of big critters are you shootin at that can't be handled with a .54 ball? I never whacked a black bear with a ball but I would think it could handle it.

I have been known to occasionally leave the confines of my Penn's Woods and stray across the border into Quebec to hunt moose, caribou, and bear. The bear in PA are no slouches either. You don't know if your going to encounter a 50 or 500 pounder. I hunted deer for 25 years with rb, I'm more impressed with the performance of the conical over the rb, that's all. Not knocking anyone's choice in projectile.I still use rb in my .36 and .50 if that'll save my hide!! :grin:

To add to the above post, i have harvested ALL three with .54 rb and maxi's. To be fair, caribou aren't all that tough, and a rb is more than enough. Moose and bear, to me, are on a different level. They're tough, and can take a good hunk of lead in stride. JMO. :v

Back