• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your last month of hunting....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
What hunting would you do? To start, I'd be in a quandry between elk and ruffed grouse hunting. Started grouse hunting when I was 16 and pursued this game bird for 54 yrs and w/ each autumn the excitement was as intense as all the previous autumns. Then when I was 53, went on my first elk hunt, which by the way was a disaster due to a lousy outfitter, but it was my introduction to the Rockies and elk. It really grabbed me and I planned for the next year's elk hunt but w/ all my own equipment and 2 hunting partners who were as "nuts" as I was. Spent many enjoyable elk hunts in Colorado in a self made comfortable camp on our own and because we didn't get a MLer elk license every year, we bow or rifle hunted for elk because we just had to be in "elk camp" every year. At 80 I no longer hunt either grouse or elk but w/ the memories of past hunts, am now satisfied to build LRs and "just dream" of being in the "grouse woods or the Rockies"....Fred

Ive had so much fun and entertainment over the years hunting just about everything available in this state. But in the context of your comments, I guess I would have to say coon hunting. Running through the dark woods at night, younger then, fit, and loved working with the hounds. Miss those hounds, miss running with them through the woods, but I do enjoy the memories.
Robby

I go whitetail deer hunting. Down here in south Ala. the weather don't really get cold until Jan. The deer don't really start moving around until some of the greenery is killed off by a couple of cold spells and they have to move around to find food.

I would have to divide my time between upland hunting with my small SxS's and squirrel hunting with my .32 flinter. If I could choose only one, I'd have a dilemma. I just don't know what I'd choose.

Vern

Thinking ahead of you my friend. That's why I sired three sons. All three strong as bulls. Two to pack out the deer, and one to carry me out.
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Vern

Probably dove hunting with my friends on a good dove field. It don't get any better than that :grin:.

flehto said:
What hunting would you do?
It would have to be hunting a good whitetail Buck with a Flintlock. And if I knew is was my last month in my life I'd ever hunt them...sitting here right now I thnk I'd probably just put the sights on him, 'count coup', lower the rifle, and then whistle / wave to him so he'd see he'd just been had...and given a pass to go breed another Doe.
Deer hunting with Flintlocks has been enormously satisfying...as well as taking some squirrel and turkey...but for my last hunts, it would have to be as a final salute to all the good whitetail Buck memories.

With me it would have to be a hard gobbling eastern longbeard. I love deer hunting but turkeys an flintlocks is what trips my trigger. :thumbsup:

"I think I'd probably just put the sights on him, count coup', lower the rifle"

I've done that twice over the years on a beautiful ten and a nine point, both I just didn't have the heart to shoot after having history with both. It's a good feeling and I have no regrets. :thumbsup:

This would be tough, I'd very much like to hunt Antelope again...would very much like to try for an Elk just one time...but I would be just as happy flintlocking a nice buck one last time or having the privilege of sitting at the edge of a hot dove field with friends one last time. :thumbsup:

Ran across this while cleaning up my photobucket.
DSCN1031.jpg

Robby

Wish that was hidden away in my Photobucket album. Who's the maker and is it a LH Bucks County? Truly a masterpiece.....Fred

Now Fred, you know darn well its one of my lefties! Its a Bucks county, with Livingston county influences. :wink:
Robby

I spent a full night coon hunting with some guys years ago. Following those baying hounds is something, alright. Though I was decades younger then, it cured me of any desire to ever hunt them again - though I have taken several buy other hunting methods since. :thumbsup:

Being in the woods with a flintlock rifle is the epitome of having a good outdoor life, enjoying nature and finding appreciation and meaning for your own life. It doesn't matter what creatures are there to share it with you.

For me it would be sitting by an oak tree in the fall in this creek bottom country i have been hunting waiting for that big whitetail. I actually thought about this this past weekend while hunting with my bow. I sat in a oak bottom watching the red sun rise, the leaves turning colors, a porcupine climbing a tree 20 yrds away, coyotes howling all around as the sun slowly crested the horizon, a doe and fawn making their way to bedding. I thought to myself, when i grow older this is how i want to leave this world, suddenly have a heart attack or stroke while taking in a fall morning like this. Beats the hell out of wasting away in a nursing home right? :hmm:

sdhunter said:
For me it would be sitting by an oak tree in the fall in this creek bottom country i have been hunting waiting for that big whitetail. I actually thought about this this past weekend while hunting with my bow. I sat in a oak bottom watching the red sun rise, the leaves turning colors, a porcupine climbing a tree 20 yrds away, coyotes howling all around as the sun slowly crested the horizon, a doe and fawn making their way to bedding. I thought to myself, when i grow older this is how i want to leave this world, suddenly have a heart attack or stroke while taking in a fall morning like this. Beats the hell out of wasting away in a nursing home right? :hmm:
you have allot of fall mornings to go.

If this was the last month. Well I would probably be hunting deer. Sitting up against an oak tree, watching the sun come up. Remembering past hunts. Be surprised by a deer suddenly appearing as if by magic. Then to have to decide to shoot or not. Probably not...let him magically appear for another hunter.

Back