• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your last month of hunting....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sdhunter said:
"...this is how i want to leave this world, suddenly have a heart attack or stroke while taking in a fall morning like this. Beats the hell out of wasting away in a nursing home right?

I've had exactly the same thoughts...cool crisp North Carolina morning during the November rut...Flintlock across my lap...the fall colors, smell of the fall woods, etc...nothing like it.

111007LadderStandview2-sunvisible.jpg

I would be cruising around the Dearborn river hoping to get a crack at a deer

I want to die elk hunting. Like Robby says, young, and fit, and cruising the mountains like they weren't there. The reason I've been so successful is that I go where nooneelse will. Rough country. Steep ravines. Too old to pack out of there, now.
Nice rifle, Robby!!

And the silhouette of old swamp donkey himself in that sunrise. Great picture. When I'm laid low, I would want the knowledge that I past it on. I would spend that month making sure.

I've hunted many things in many places over a lot of years, and each hunt seemed better than the last. I've enjoyed it all so much I wouldn't really want to give any of it up, so I'd spend my last month looking for a better doctor. :grin:

Spence

Sorry for this second post in this thread, however after re-reading the original question and some of the other responses, I have re-considered my earlier post. Realizing that the question hinted at not being alive for another hunting season, may I re-state my response.

I realize that I have, in many past posts, portrayed my wife (The Old Woman) as somewhat of a tyrant and a harsh person. In all truthfulness she is just the opposite. A fine and caring woman, a wonderful and loving mother and grand mother and has put up with my nonsense for over 40 years. She reads most of the posts that I write here and also knows that she is referred to in a less that flattering way, however she also knows that it is my sense of humor to blame and she even laughs about it herself calling me "you old fool".

So what would I do during my last (if known to me) hunting season?? I would spend every moment possible with her. I have make enough memories afield to hold me over. She and I have shared a lot over the years that we've grown old together and each step has brought us closer.

Vern

ps: my wife (The Old Woman) made me write this.

That was nicely said Vern, and allow me to echo your sentiment almost 100%, (36yrs). Thinking on it, I'd take her with me. She's a gritty little Gal. Now, if I could just hear those hounds. :(
Robby

Your second post is very insightful and would prompt many to think of their "lifelong partner" in terms of importance. My wife is the epitomy of patience and understanding and has to her credit, "tolerated" my infidelity" to her because of my obsession w/ hunting and fishing. Perhaps, and I've never discussed this w/ her, she rationalized that's it's the lesser of two evils...the other being a tryst w/ another woman which never did happen out of respect for her. So...for 54 yrs we've had a mutual understanding and evidently it's "worked". Off topic, but worth it.....Fred

No taking away from your second post, very heartfelt towards your wife...but the context of the question was indeed "about hunting"...and that's the context I answered it in, nothing to change for me.
However, on a subject of "the last month of our lives in general"...and in consideration of a wife if we have one...yes, I wouldn't be selfish and spend it all in the woods either.

My bride of 44+ years and I are pretty much opposites which probably accounts for our long successful marriage...I've asked her numerous times if she'd like to join me on a nice 'sit' in the pretty fall woods over the years but she simply has no interest in it.

Asked her just this past weekend if she'd like to just go along with me for an hour or so while I set up a ladder stand this coming weekend...nope.
I know she'll do some of her outstanding craft work making quilts, or soap, or candles, or painting, or read a book on her Kindle...but going to the woods just isn't her thing...never has been.

There are zero issues for all my hunting shooting activities but she made something clear to me shortly after we were married back in the 60's...said something like:
"If you promise never to bring a dead animal into our house, I'll promise never to cook it for you"

Seemed pretty clear to me...
:wink:

Mike Brines said:
I want to die elk hunting. Like Robby says, young, and fit, and cruising the mountains like they weren't there. The reason I've been so successful is that I go where nooneelse will. Rough country. Steep ravines. Too old to pack out of there, now.
Nice rifle, Robby!!

Interesting thought, there. I was complaining to an outfitting acquaintance how I'd love to go elk hunting but just was not physically able to do it. He said "go for it; now's the time to live your dream". I replied with the scenario of what could you do if I collapsed at the bottom of a rough, steep canyon and couldn't move. He told me, "don't worry; I'll pack you out even if I have to make two trips". :idunno:

That must be somewhere a little more west than I lived in N.C.! I lived on the coast in Wilmington. Where I hunted you could not see much past your nose in the woods!..My last hunt I probably would not load my rifle but I would at least have a cap on the nipple so I could scare the manure out of the last deer I ever see :blah: :rotf:

Thats a good one I hope my friends think so much of me. :bow:

I would like to take my Father on the Guided Elk trip neither of us can afford, but that would be "HIS" last hunting trip.
I hope to have many more to go. On my last I would take a flint lock in 54cal or larger and shoot the biggest Elk I could find.
The wife dosen't care to clean game but she can cook up up a fine venison stew.

You have spoken words of praise that I feel of towards my wife. She has put up w/ me for 46 yrs now. Been there on multiple times that I was injured as a Police Officer. Doesn't complain when I want to go deer hunting, just concerned. Great wife, mother and grandmother. Hope in my second life to find her again.

Back