• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your state Game officersw & black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Here in PA most rank and file game officers at least have a rudimentary knowledge of muzzle loaders. But the knowledge and common sense of the policy/rule makers is sadly lacking. For instance, during the regular firearms deer season, when the modern hunters can go out with bolt, lever and pump repeaters, a hunter with a muzzleloader is limited to a single barrel and though percussion and in-lines may sport scopes, a flintlock may not.

Ask one of the 100 WCo's if a Ferguson flint rifle is legal for hunting, or even a percussion sharps and you will get 7 different answers.

Matchlocks & wheel locks are not legal for deer in any season, except in some very narrow areas around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. But such firearms may be used for Elk, but not for bear.

Some of us have sent written inquiries about cap and ball revolvers, again vastly different answers. Some say they are muzzleloaders, some say they are not.

Just for an example in regular firearms, they outlawed centerfire rifles and handguns for small game. A year later they legalized centerfire rifles and handguns under 23 caliber. I can use a 220 Swift for squirrels up in trees, but not a 25-20 which carries only a tenth as far. At one time I could hunt both small game and deer with my flintlock after Christmas. Now the Flintock for deer must be 44 cal or over and for small game, 40 cal or under. If I am legally licensed and legally hunting for both, why do they care if I shoot a squirrel with a .44 instead of a 40?

Sadly the reason is poaching and being uninformed. We have similar laws here in CO and I talked to a warden and those were the reasons he gave me. Larger Cal take larger game. I was told that when someones in the woods with a larger cal its hard to believe they're only going for small game.

Given that TB nominated Oregon for having the worst muzzleloader regulations in the country, I figure we probably have it about right.

Thats the way it is here in Ala. small game .40 cal.and under. What gets me is in Georgia the regs. say (any) muzzleloader for small game. Therefore you were able to hunt hogs on WMA's during small game season with your .50 cal. With the hog population expanding in Ala. you would think they would change it, but they won't. :idunno:

Armakiller, have you seen anything from the Alabama Dept of Conservation regarding opening day of muzzleloading deer season for the 2012-2013 season. I can't find anything online about it.

Anyone familiar with WV's regs?
It appears .38 cal is minimum for deer so I assume my .32 can't be used for anything because they don't mention muzzeloaders anywhere else?
Thought I could take my grandfathers old gun hunting at least once I figure it should have as much power as my little .22 hornet I used when I was a kid that is still legal.

Here in B.C., I can hunt all game except bison with any muzzleloader as long as I use a single projectile! That means that I can legaly hunt Grizzlies with a .32 :youcrazy: or Gophers with a .75 cal! :rotf:

That means that I can legaly hunt Grizzlies with a .32

Don't you mean you can annoy Gizzlies with a .32? :haha:

Maryland is silly as well..., it is unlawful to hunt while under the influence of alcohol or any narcotic drug..., but you can be messed up on OTC allergy meds and not be in violation...

It is unlawful to Trap on State lands without written permission from the controlling agency
but on county lands there must be a county ordinance or the area must be posted "no trapping".

The guide book says muzzleloader hunters must purchase a muzzleloading stamp..., but the law says only if you hunt in muzzleloader season..., you can use your muzzleloader during "gun" season without the stamp.

Flintlock, percussion cap, and inline ignition muzzleloaders are legal hunting devices..., sorry wheelock and matchlock people.

Muzzleloading rifles for deer or bear must be at least .40 caliber, and use not less than 60 grains of Black Powder or equivalent. (Really? a .40 on a black bear? :youcrazy: )

Cartridge-Handgun hunting is only allowed in counties where breechloading rifles are allowed, BUT you can also use cartridge-handguns in Frederick county..., so you can hunt there with a .357 mag or .44 mag, or more powerful cartridge from your handgun..., but you can't use a modern rifle like a single shot, or lever action, in .44 mag or .357 mag. :youcrazy:

A muzzleloading pistol may be used in any county, but when used for deer or bear, must be .40 caliber and have a minimum of 40 grains of powder. (So your .40 rifle must use 60 grains of powder, but your .40 pistol needs only 40 grains, ... and either are OK for black bear... :youcrazy: )

You can't hunt with a single shot, breech loading, .45-70 except in the Western counties where breech loading rifles are allowed, but you can use a .50 caliber inline, launching a 400 grain conical and 110 grains of powder in any place where deer or bear hunting is allowed. AND if you used a caplock Sharps or a flintlock Ferguson, you'd be in violation unless you were in one of the two counties where rifles are permitted.

LD

Back