• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yukon Hunter knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Found this in a antique shop recently. It was in tough shape, especially the leather. Been working on it in my shop. Seems like it's starting to respond to lots of TLC..

The reverse side shows the Othello makers mark of Solingen,Germany.

Should make a great companion on some woods/hunting treks. I think this will be a PC and HC knife to add to my collection. My persona is a modern guy from Maine pretending to be someone else from an earlier period. :wink:

`
Yukon002.jpg

giz

" My persona is a modern guy from Maine pretending to be someone else from an earlier period"

I gotta remember that one :v That is a nice looking knfe, it will go well with your persona...

gizamo said:
My persona is a modern guy from Maine pretending to be someone else from an earlier period. :wink:

You got documentation fer that?

OW!
slap.gif

:rotf: :rotf:

Pichou,

You got me there. This being Maine and all. Technically I'm what they call a transplant. Worse, I'm a Flatlander Transplant. The Old Mainer's are pretty particular about these things. They want more then just primary documentation. You've got to count back at least 3 generations to be from ~ h'eah...

I once asked a fella' I worked for:

Me..."Well, seeing as my daughter was born here in the town hospital, does that make her a Mainer?"

He thought about it, smiled and said " W'elp, if your dog had puppies in the oven, Ya wouldn't call 'em Biscuits, would ja'...." :rotf:

So let me fix it...

Just a Flatlander Transplant that came to Maine pretending to be somebody from an earlier time :blah:

giz

I assume you know that you are the proud owner of a Russel Belt Knife knock-off. I got mine at the factory (Grohmann Knives Ltd.) in Pictou Nova Scotia in 1980.

Actually it is not a Russell.

It is a Othello made in Solingen, Germany :wink:

giz

I have one like that and another one made by Herters. Same shape and case. Herters out of business now. They copied it from the Canadian knife. It came from the Eskimos. Dilly

gizamo said:
Found this in a antique shop recently. It was in tough shape, especially the leather. Been working on it in my shop. Seems like it's starting to respond to lots of TLC..

The reverse side shows the Othello makers mark of Solingen,Germany.

Should make a great companion on some woods/hunting treks. I think this will be a PC and HC knife to add to my collection. My persona is a modern guy from Maine pretending to be someone else from an earlier period. :wink:

`
Yukon002.jpg
giz

Giz--modern guys from Maine pretending to be someone else from an earlier period should use a knife with only two cutler's rivets, and they should be 1mm smaller than those pictured. The scales are a good color but should be made of aarvark shinbone dyed with emu blood. Then and only then will you be P/C*. Hope you find this helpful.

*Pretty Cool

I just finished making a very similar knife from a kit this past weekend. It came from a company in Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada.

AptpicsforJess004.jpg

The company is called Grohmann Knives Ltd. Here is a link to their site.
http://www.grohmannknives.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but the aardvark shinbone knives were only made in leap years. The non-leap year production knives had the larger rivets... 3 of them. These handles were premium grade box elder, stained with AF and rancid beet juice.

OBTW, the Emu Blood stain was not available in Maine due to state restrictions on really weird wood finishes, and now CITES has banned emu blood altogether.

SAVE THE EMUS!

:bull: :rotf:

OK, I admit it: too much coffee this morning. :redface: :haha:

Pichou - Drink the Decaf... :)

On a serious note:

What do you make of the overall design of this style of knife, and where does it fit in the historical record?

giz

thats what i was going to say it looks like a earlier version of the knives made by Grohmann today. the ergonomics of the blade/handle are great if your doing alot of cutting/butchering. but as far as HC definetly a modern design. does'nt mean you can't carry it though.IMHO great find :hatsoff:

Grohman has made that knife for more than 50 years. I sharpened a copy made in Japan that a friend has had for almost that long. Russell sold the Grohman knife through its own catalog. Its a 20th century design, but its very efficient to use when skinning animals. I used one to help skin out two frozen beaver carcasses once. I was impressed with the edge it was able to hold, and the light weight and balance that helped fight muscle fatigue as we peeled back the hide off the frozen body. The one I used had about a 4 inch blade. This, and my friend's Japanese copy have about a 5 inch blade.

Back