• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

zen and art of flintlocking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to get 5 out of 10 in the black like that at 100 yds. You have done some practice to get to that point.

what is your wet lube?
Is your gun sighted in at 100yds? I guess that is answered by your group, what I mean is my 45 hits 8 inches low at 100.

Greenmtnboy has it down pat. He did mention dryfiring, right? The other word for, and meaning of DRYFIRE is PRACTICE. No matter how I practice, dryfire or live, I try to 'CALL MY SHOT'. That is calling out loud where your sight was located at the time the shot is fired. 'THERE' for on target. For all others it''s inches out and clock face location. Example: 2 inches at ten-thirty or close (inside 1 inch) at four. This also makes you concentrate on your sight picture and soon your shots seem to flow without thinking about trigger pull.
Another tip for practice is a carryover from my archery days. Whenever your out at the store, the mall, park or any outdoor location, practice with the mind. You see a pole, bench, door garbage recepticle, guess the distance. Then step it off. I always use steps for my personal measurements since using a tape in hunting and shooting situations is not feasable. Your step is YOURS and no one elses. This helps you to gauge distance better and more acurately. Trailwalks now get a little easire. PRACTICE makes better than before.

Great shooting Nathan! I know groups like that with a flinter at 100 yards OFFHAND don't "just happen".

Tell me something....How much difference in ignition are you seeing between Null B and 3f ?

Congrats on your practice paying off! :thumbsup:

Skychief.

Skychief said:
Tell me something....How much difference in ignition are you seeing between Null B and 3f ?

Oh I'm sure that there is no discernable difference :wink:

Those knowing guys on the 4f thread say so :blah:

Great shooting by the way, that is a combination of all the right things coming together and alot of practice and determination. :hatsoff:

Greenmtnboy said:
well I have focused my attentions on my flintlocks for the last year or so, My goal was to get as adept with my rock bangers as my percession guns.

I would think that you've met your goal! Nice shootin', Nathan! :thumbsup:

How'dja do at the AMM nationals?

Kapellmeister said:
Greenmtnboy said:
well I have focused my attentions on my flintlocks for the last year or so, My goal was to get as adept with my rock bangers as my percession guns.

I would think that you've met your goal! Nice shootin', Nathan! :thumbsup:

How'dja do at the AMM nationals?

Hey buddy just got back on Sunday.
I got first and Tom Karnuta also from the Rocky Mt outfit got second.
We met an individual who was waiting for an ok from the BATFE to sell a impact target like tannerite but will detonate at low speeds, we addeded the target(paper towel cardboard roll size) to our shoot at 75 yrds, I was the first to hit it and it went off like a full load cannon :shocked2: AUSOM!!
Anyway good times were had by all and I met and got to hang out with Mr David wright a true honor.
Nathan

DSCF6153.jpg

DSCF6145.jpg

great pictures and it was no surprise to read that you took first place for your shooting. You target inspires me to practice and focus. It proves that the gun will do it, if we do our part.

Dangit :cursing: seeing this thread guilted me into shooting my flintlock tomorrow at our monthly shoot. It's a shorter distance shoot with the long targets around my upper bow-range(35 yards) so I'll do it. Anyway I wouldn't be able to place good with my capper because this shoot's targets are too small. I shot my flinter last week and I figured out my sighting issue. I have the rear sight drifted into the right place but was still shooting right. But, I found out I was flinching right so maybe I'll be able to do better tomorrow.

My self confidence has taken a serious beating after reading this thread and seeing that target. I used to flatter myself that I was a good rifle shot, but now I know different. That is some great shooting, no doubt and no wonder you won, 'twas a foregone conclusion. Great pics too. Sure would like to get to wander thru an AMM rondy one day. You guys sure know how to do it. I remember reading the requirements for membership once, and I thought even Delta Force would have a hard time pulling it off.

:thumbsup:

Are you a Green Mountain Boy? That is, are you from Vermont? If so, Where?

best wishes,
Hazens Notch

That target is wonderful. A helluva testament to your intensive practice regimen. I don't believe I've ever seen one better. 100 yards offhand? You should be proud.

You mentioned lifting weights. How much weight and what kind (barbell,dumbell)?

Also, what lifting exercise specific to your purpose?

Oh the joys of dry firing! And I actually mean that! It's a good tension reliever to go into the back yards and spend 20 minutes concentrating on something you don't have to do.

A wrinkle that I was taught as part of my training for service rifle competition was to do what are essentially weight training exercises with the rifle. Using both hands, lift the rifle above your head as far as you can push it. Next, Push it out horizontally from your shoulders. Last, curl it up from waist to shoulder level. Now go through the gun mount routine and do the Mantra: Alignment-Focus-Aim-Smooth (on the trigger)- Follow. All this will get you completely accustomed to the weight and feel of the rifle. It builds "kinesthetic memory" as to when the body and rifle are working as one unit.

White Fox

If you look at that target, the black bull area is probably about 3 inches wide.
Thats a good group FROM THE BENCH!!!
At least I'd be happy with it.

White Fox - sounds like a logical exercise regimen for "becoming one" with your rifle. I like the reasoning behind it, kinda old school, perfectly simple and correct. Thanks for posting

Back