• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting accident in CT with a musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this?
The article doesn't give much information, and something doesn't seem quite right to me.....

20231216_190509.jpg
20231216_190514.jpg

"He hid his musket," ????

Went to work on an early radiology unit down service call , at a hosp. near home. Got the unit up and running before the first case came in. First case was a dad and son turkey hunting , where son splattered dad with #6 shot pellets . Dad was told , he might have to wear these tiny projectiles , until he went on to the happy hunting grounds. The pellets were basically superficial , right side of head /face , right upper arm , and chest. Son has to wear the shame of breaking a basic rule , always make sure of your target.

I've been hit a couple times bird hunting over the years. Not enough to penetrate the skin, but sufficient to garner some of my most potent expletives.
Considering how poorly researched news stories are nowadays, the guy may have been shot with a Bennelli, instead of a muzzle loader.
AGREED. There is a modern gun that is a smoothbore that is called a "musket", and I wouldn't put it past the yahoo "reporter" for messing that up. ALSO no mention of were both legally hunting on the land.... no mention of wearing orange or if it is even required where they were hunting...., no mention of asking if either had taken the state hunter safety course (most courses that I've seen often detect vision problems to some degree),

LD

no mention of asking if either had taken the state hunter safety course
Given the age of the "hunter" that fired the shot,,, I doubt it. When they made the hunter's safety course mandatory they "grandfathered" in a bunch of people who had their hunting license since before a certain date. I thought they had since changed it and took away that provision, but maybe not. I know some data came out a few years ago indicating that most accidents were coming from older hunter's who had not had to take the class.

Last edited:
Way back, buddy and i were walking through a corn field with the tall stalks still up. Suddenly, we heard booms, and we could hear the pellets ripping thru the corn. We quickly turned around as the pellets hit us. Fortunately after ripping through the corn, they lost enough velocity to bounce off our backs. Thank you Carhartt!!

We had these two brothers , that lived 'bout a mile rom us. Everyone that hunted around where we lived knew to keep an eye out for them when out hunting small game. It was down right comical , to watch them hunt. They always had three to six dogs of different varieties , and yelling constantly at each other , and their rat terriers , poodles , beagles , shepards , and some not identified as a breed. Folks in their neighborhood unanimously said that someone had pi$$ed in their gene pool somewhere along the line. We had been accidentally shot by them , like Capt Vain said , at a distance far enough the shot pellets bounced off our canvas hunting clothes. They shot our house one afternoon trying to bag a ringneck pheasant. , Dad wasn't angry , by and by the brothers were laughed at by everyone around. Even still today , after 60 + yrs. , I laugh at them just thinking about how they behaved. Innocent , but stupid beyond description , no doubt their brains were located south of their belt lines.

Latest posts

Back