• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MINIMUM LOAD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAGBARK

32 Cal
Reaction score
hELLO , WE HAVE A SQUIRREL PROBLEM AND I WOULD LIKE YOUR RECOMENDATION FOR A MINIMUM .45 LOAD TO KEEP NOISE AT THE LOWEST LEVEL. ABOUT 25 YDS WILL BE THE SHOOTING DISTANCE. tHANKS, SHAGBARK

The minimum load depends on where the flash channel comes into the main charge. If the rifle has a drum and nipple, then the powder charge has to be enough to be over the entry from the drum. This could be 10 grains or it could be 20 grains. If the ball blocks the flash channel, then you have a dry ball situation. If you have a chambered breech, the minimum charge could be the one that fills the chamber. I know that 3 or 4 grains of powder will clear a dry ball and that is essentially the charge that fills the flash channel between the nipple seat and the barrel.

I used to hunt squirrels with a .50 TC, I put about 10gr of powder in it and a patched round ball. When the gun went off it was more of a bloop than a bang. This load was incredibly accurate out to about 25 yards, when I hit a squirrel head the ball just took a crescent shaped slice out and didn't cause any tissue damage.

Moderaters please remove if need be. Shop smart let Airgun Nation forum , guide you if your not in the know air gun wise. Thorough research will reward you.

I do have a air rifle but no one will fill my tank. So I would rather put my money in a rifle that smokes. I will try the 10 gr load and am looking forward to some fresh squirrels

I don’t wish to break forum rules, but I have killed a bunch of squirrels, rabbits, crows and even a few groundhogs with a Daisy Powerline 880, .177 pellet gun. You pump it yourself.

But back on topic, my Jukar percussion rifle shoots cloverleaf patterns at 25 yards with about 22 grains of 2f and a patched .440 round ball.

I don’t wish to break forum rules, but I have killed a bunch of squirrels, rabbits, crows and even a few groundhogs with a Daisy Powerline 880, .177 pellet gun. You pump it yourself.

But back on topic, my Jukar percussion rifle shoots cloverleaf patterns at 25 yards with about 22 grains of 2f and a patched .440 round ball.

Being that everyone are breaking the rules guess I can too: Daisy Powerline 880 with a little scope is the best air rifle around, killed many critters with it

hELLO , WE HAVE A SQUIRREL PROBLEM AND I WOULD LIKE YOUR RECOMENDATION FOR A MINIMUM .45 LOAD TO KEEP NOISE AT THE LOWEST LEVEL. ABOUT 25 YDS WILL BE THE SHOOTING DISTANCE. tHANKS,
Some time ago a post showed a small, low caliber, screw-barrel rifle, presumably for gathering bird’s for study or collections, w/out scattering the flock.
It was suggested that Audubon used one similar.

As I recall, it was about .25-.30 and the powder pocket only held 5-10 grains of BP.

Obviously a rare bird itself but the BP equivalent of a strong air rifle and ideal for what you describe.

Back