• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1-48" or 1-66" twist T/C HAWKEN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sabinajiles said:
Are you absolutely sure the problem is just that you can't see well enough, at 100 yds, to accurately sight the rifle? This is the problem many have, including myself, when shooting longer distances with open sights.

Well now ya done it, its bad enuff Ima already wearin trifocals :cursing: .. whats next .. quads? :hmm:

Davy

Stumpkiller's idea for shooting long range groups worked great for me...he said to use an inverted triangle for an aim point.

I take a 8"x11" sheet of gaudy bright flourescent hot pink paper and fold over part of it so it forms a large triangle and staple it "point down" to a cardboard backing at 100yds.

At the bench I sit that sharp, highly visible point precisely right on top of the front bead exactly the same way every time...excellent groups are possible with open sights using a precise, highly visible aim-point like that.

Greetings Mr. Hinnant and all,
Great to have you respond to my problem. Well, I went and got some .495 Hornady roundballs as per your suggestion.(could not find .50 locally). I went to the range and shot the .495 Hornady roundball with .018 pillow ticking. Well the change from .490 to .495 is dramatic to say the least. I was able to keep all shots on the 8" plate out to 125 yards and most grouping around 3-4" at 100 yards. Thanks Mr. Hinnant and all for your help. Further work on charge size will no doubt help even more. Thanks; I would have never thought about changing the ball size because TC recommends the .490 size. The .490 must have been coming out of there like a smoothbore but had enough speed to hit well at 75 yards but not at the longer ranges. You did it again Mr. Hinnant!!! Thanks again. mossie

Back