• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

# 11 cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

32 Cal.
Reaction score
this may be a dumb question but, is it possible to set off a #11 cap by pushing it on the nipple with your thumb. I'me always thinking that the cap could go off when I load the rifle and push the cap on the nipple. I have never had one go off, was just wondering if anyone out there has had one discharge. thanks

If you have a really hard thumb,,,and can push really fast and sharp,,,maybe :idunno:

I ain't never seen it , or heard of it actually happening in 35 years or so, but you can bet that somebody's great aunts brothers cousins nephews uncle had it happen back in the old days and has a t-shirt to prove it! :haha:

You will get multiple, and conflicting, responses to this question. BTW, not a dumb question, very legitimate concern.
I say no. I have never experienced such an ignition, nor have I ever heard of it happening by credible sources.
Tests have been done trying to set off caps with powder puff hits and those show caps are really kinda hard to ignite. It takes a pretty good whack to set off a cap.
However, I never say never. :wink: Unusual stuff happens.

100% with Rifleman, well said.
Never seen or heard of it happening.
I have seen hammer strikes that are impeded buy debris or just a fouled lock not strike hard enough to set off a cap.
You'd need a steel thumb and more concentrated force than an average guy.

I sometimes place the cap then lower the hammer and press against cock section of the hammer with my thumb, that's more force than I can do with my thumb alone,, ain't set one off yet.

I have to agree with Rifleman.

The priming compound explodes when it receives a sharp blow. Merely squeezing it won't cause it to go off.

Just so folks won't say I'm making an armchair theory about this, I just used my Vise Grips to totally crush a Dynamite Nobel # 1075 cap by laying the cap sideways on the jaws so the priming compound would be totally smashed.
The cap was placed on the jaws with its diameter resting on the serrations and its open mouth exposed.

After crushing the cap (without any explosion of any kind) I noticed that the serrations left some areas uncrushed so I placed the flattened cap into my vise and crushed it down until it is smooth and only .040 thick.

No bang, pop or fizzle was heard.

Before someone says, "He tested a dud!" let me add: I took the flattened cap out and rested it on the flat surface on my vise.
I then took a steel hammer and hit it.
Although flattened to a useless shape with the priming compound obviously dislodged, rearreanged and who knows what else, BANG!!! Just like it is supposed to do when it is impacted by a sharp blow. :grin:

Latest posts

Back