• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#11 capper??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulis7

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have several #11 cappers for my rifle, the first is a plastic disk/star plastic shaped capper from CVA which works great. The second is one of the straight brass type cappers I got at Wal Mart on clearence sell last year, Allen brand I think.

The straight capper really blows to put it mildly. Inserting the caps is a tedious process and it does not grip them well. Generally I drop two or three per 15 caps loaded in the capper after capping the nipple.

Anyone know of a better capper to use for #11 caps?

The rifle I use is a TC New Englander .50, so not sure what type of capper to look for due to the snail flash cup shape and clearence.

Regulis7

Ted Cash.

I have a 25+ year old T/C straight channel capper (won't call it an "in-line" ::) that is still working perfectly. A second one is maybe 20yrs old and still OK. The jaws have to have enough springiness to capture the next cap. I'm not sure if my second capper is also a T/C, but it is a different design. One has two spring steel jaws, the other has one spring and one side fixed at the tip. Both load from a hole up at the hanger end - you're not loading them by jamming the caps in the exit, are you? Might deform the lips.

Both hold 18 caps (though more could be crammed in, the capper wouldn't hold them agains the internal spring ~~ which is just to keep the follower from backing past the loading port.

Tad Cash channel capper at TOTW - $8.99

My favorite is one you can make yourself with scrap leather. Mine is circular with two layers of leather--a heavy back piece and a softer front piece. the front piece is perforated all around the edge with holes punched to hold #11 caps securely. A slit connects the holes with the rim of the leather circle... to allow the caps to slide off after you seat them on the nipple--or rather allows the capper to slide off...the two pieces are either riveted or sewn together in the middle. Works good, fits in your bag or can be worn around the neck on a cord.

i also have a t/c stright, and have no problems except when i forget to full it. i have replaced the spring with a longer And stronger one from the hardware store. otherwise works for me! :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller,

I am loading the caps in the small hole on the rear of the capper. guess I need more practice at this because I still have about 2 per 15 wind up on its side instead of face down.

Thanks for the link to the Tedd Cash capper, this looks like a better capper than I have due to the two spring grippers instead of the single one thats on my current model.

Regulis7

Regulis,

Recommend that you tighten up the spring gripping jaw on your Allen capper. Simply bend it a little bit towards the inside of the capper. This will tighten it up and it will work reliably. This is also a good way to make #11 cappers handle #10 caps reliably.

Regards,

Sky-Dogg

I have used a Ted Cash Rifleman's Capper for the last 20+ years.

If memory serves me, Ted Cash had a little shop out of his home, in a small town called Waunakee Wisconsin. I bought my first Silver Rifleman's capper from him (which someone walked off with out of my possible bag at a shoot :curse: ) over 20+ years ago. My second Cash Rifleman's capper is still in use. I like it because it is easy to load and you can put in almost a whole tin of caps. I also own two of his straight line cappers. They work excellent for loading my black powder revolver. I have a couple of the plastic ones (no idea who makes them) and they are with the inline rifles...

The Ted Cash Rifleman's capper are great for sidelocks but not for inlines....

I recommend the Ted Cash rifle capper, easy to load and works well. I broke a spring(my fault) and called them for a replacement, they offered to send me an entire new capper, stating it had a lifetime warranty. I just had them send the spring(they mailed me two of them. Great outfit to deal with. I played poker with Ted a number of years ago when he was visiting my buddy. His merchandise is authentic and top quality. Happy hunting,

mothernatureson

Cut a piece of 5 oz leather in the shape of your capper. Drill a 1/8" hole along the perimeter every 3/8 of an inch and about 1/8" from the edge. Slice with a razor blade one slice from each hole to the edge.

You now have a real old time capper. The roughness of the leather will keep the capps from falling out. Hang it on a string and around your neck. :)

I've had Cash cappers,I've had inline cappers and the little round ones,but for better than 30 years I've used a plain strip of leather with 1/8"holes punched in it.I don't slit the holes which seems to be the way it's done.I've never had a speck of trouble and in all these years.Other than making some for new guys,I've used 2 in 30 years.One for shoots,more capacity,and one for hunting.The little one I use for hunting holds 12 caps,more than enough.Sometimes simple is better! :m2c:Noah

Back