• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

# 11 Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank44

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the best caps to use on my .50 cal. Lyman Deer Stalker with Pioneer powder for hunting on the wet side of Wasington State? :confused:
Frank

My buddies swear by CCI #11 caps so I have been using them for 15 years. They claim other caps (Remington) are not as reliable or as hot. Get a Hot Shot nipple as well. The one with metric threads for a Lyman 6 x .75mm. They are harder and hold their shape better. I pull the nipple and make sure I can see light through it before loading.

Everyone seems to have different experiences with caps and they all have their favorites. I've had a few misfires and hangfire with CCI caps that couldn't be traced to the gun that I found. I've never had any problems with Remington caps at all, so that's what I try to stick with. I've tried magnum caps but never got as good of accuracy with them either. I guess the best advice is really to buy a few types and try them out till you find out what works best for you.

You'll just have to try as many differant brands as possible and see which give good results in your guns. I get great results with CCI,CVA,or Remington caps in all my guns but you my not.Experimentation and range time is all part of the hobby anyway and will give you good reason to do a lot of shooting. And it keeps life fun and interesting.

Remington started making "New", "hotter" caps a few years ago. I was having ignition problems with some CCI's on a CVA rifle around then and switched to the Remingtons. No problems with the new, hot Remingtons. :thumbsup:

Like the other guys said, try a few brands until you find what your gun likes.

Try some real blackpowder too if possible. I think you'll like it. And so will your rifle. :hatsoff:

Back in the late eighties I bought a used possibles bag at Charlies Gun Shop in Albuquerque NM. Evidently an ol skinner went under or maybe couldn't do his thing anymore. Anyway, the bag had some handmade stuff in it including a antler piece that was made to hold caps. Had a carved wooden stopper and you just shake out a cap at a time.

I don't shoot caps much anymore, mainly flints, but I took out one of my cap pistols awhile back and just for the heck of it shook out one of those old remington caps to see if they were still any good. Fired right away. As did the second and third.

Got a good deal on a box of ten of the CCI's awhile back and have been using them, and they preform well for me too. Don't know if it really makes much of a difference.

I've got a Lyman GPR with a Hot Shot nipple on it and CCI #11 caps do NOT work with it. The caps won' seat on the nipple properly for some reason. When I use Remington #10 caps I have no problem at all. :hmm: Ken

Latest posts

Back