• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

11ga. English Fowler at Sitting Fox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayouhunter

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys has looked at this gun and what do you think of it?
I'm considering a new fowler and liked what I saw when I run across that gun.

I am going to assume that you are talking about the F-136 Halfstock English Fowler in 11 gauge.

IMG_2086.jpg

That fowler is a well built representation of an English fowler of 1800 to 1830. It looks to be of a handy size for hunting and general ease of handling. It already comes with a White Lightning liner getting flash from an L&R Manton lock.

The gun is a very nice gun. To what use are you planning for it?

That's the gun.My uses will cover waterfowl to deer and hog. Bismuth shot for waterfowl, round ball for the WMA that requires shotgun slug only. I have the shotgun a/ slug barrel but want to use Flintlock. The WMA is on the SW coast of Alabama thick cover, coming up from the marsh line with scattered high ground to swamp.

I really like the gun but I hate the price.

What kills for me at that price....

First and foremost, the barrel. It is a straight octagonal turned on a lathe to tapered round. Note the abrupt change where the round tapered portion of the barrel starts. That's a modern method of making a less expensive fowling barrel.

This is not a Period Correct issue but a Shootabilty issue.

You are not going to be able to sight down the barrel like you can with a proper fully tapered fowling gun barrel. So it may not be ideal as a proper bird gun.

As a ball gun or turkey gun it may do OK but for the money I prefer a properly built gun.

L&R went through some hard times in the recent past. Their Mantons could be troublesome. They have improved and provide good service but I'm still a little leery on some of their locks like a Bailes or Manton...the Durs Egg and Queen Anne were pretty good locks even when they were having a little trouble.

Lastly and this is a period issue, It's a Phantom. It's someones idea of a late English fowling gun. For Two Grand I would expect more in the Period Correct department.

For the same money you can have a Carolina Type G from Mike brooks or Clay Smith. If you wanted a 12, mike Brooks has his New England fowling guns in that price range. Also there the Chambers New England gun kit that a builder will assemble for you and for about the same money as that gun.

Now if it was $1000 or so plus or minus a couple a hundred I may be willing to overlook the flaws but for the asking price, I feel you can do much much better.

Thanks I just about gave up on that gun to look elsewhere, I just had a change in income due to offshore drilling slowing down. I probably go the kit route.

I'll say one thing, that 11 gauge is pretty much the same as my Brown Bess. And it's no slouch in the shot department or with round ball. This might not be the right gun for the money, but the right gun would be a dandy for your needs.

BrownBear said:
I'll say one thing, that 11 gauge is pretty much the same as my Brown Bess. And it's no slouch in the shot department or with round ball. This might not be the right gun for the money, but the right gun would be a dandy for your needs.

Agreed. I have shot my BB plenty with both shot and ball. It can be an effective hunting tool. Mine is actually an 11 ga. even though sold as a 12. Downside these days is shortage and cost of lead. The ball is about 540 gr., thats a lota lead. A 20 ga. will do pretty much anythng any of us will ever want from a smoothie. An e-friend on another forum has killed elk and buff with his and reports it very effective.

I'm a beginner so I'm going to ask what is perhaps a less than intelligent question: if a Pedersoli Brown Bess is about $600 used, then why not just buy one of those and spend the rest of the $1,400 saved on ammo and powder and hunting? It's by no means perfect but how much more adventure can you get for the $1,400 in savings? Just wondering.

Why do some prefer a 57 Chevy or 63 1/2 Galaxie XL over a Fiat or Toyota, some just want more, or less depending on your point of view.

wahkahchim said:
I'm a beginner so I'm going to ask what is perhaps a less than intelligent question: if a Pedersoli Brown Bess is about $600 used, then why not just buy one of those and spend the rest of the $1,400 saved on ammo and powder and hunting? It's by no means perfect but how much more adventure can you get for the $1,400 in savings? Just wondering.

Its all about the handling. The Land Pattern firearms are a military gun. They are heavy and can be difficult to handle for wing shooting. Sure you can learn to overcome the handling issues. A fowler is light, easy to handle and much more enjoyable to shoot. Besides a used Pedersoli Bess for $600 will be hard to find.

Not to be argumentative, but I don't see that style of barrel as being a hinderance to good wing shooting. The fit of the stock is far more important than having a tapered barrel. If one shoots with both eyes opened one will see the barrel easy enough, not only the top of the barrel, but the barrel as a whole in relation to the bird as it flies.

Proper wing shooting consist of putting the primary focus on the target, and secondary focus on the barrel. One should not attempt to sight down the barrel, but merely point it. If the stock fits well, and you are consistent with the mounting of the gun, focus on the target, shoot with both eyes opened while tracking with the barrel, you should not have a great deal of problems.

I am no expert, but I have shot skeet competitively while in the Navy and am familiar with wing shooting basics. I admit I have not fired a shot at a flying object with black powder, but I have a similar barrel on my fusil and I have practice mounting the gun and following birds with it in flight. I do not anticipate I will have issues with how the barrel is set up as I have no difficulty keeping the barrel in its proper perspective in relation to the target.

Again I mean no offense, just my 2 cents.

the way the barrel was turned will place the front bead on a lower plane the the surface of the rear flats. which will keep you from obtaining a proper sight picture. This may only be a small inconceniance for deer or turkey however can make large issue when huntin fowl. and in agrreement with the others the gnu isnt a bad gun..but certainly not worth the asking price.

Back