• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1620 Swedish matchlock musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnus wiberg

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Since I believe I´m now able to not only post words but also pictures here, I´d like to share with you listmembers some pics from my forge/shop where I happily spend my days building ,and repairing , ML firearms.
These pictures show some steps in building my 1620 Swedish Match Lock Musket.
1620Matchlockmusketbarrelinlatheand.jpg

Here the octagons on rear part of barrel are being milled.

1620matchlock003.jpg

This is a very handy tool I use when inletting a barrel, round or octagon. For the finishing touches in the barrel channel, it will help smoothing out a rough surface.It simply consists of a piece of round wooden dovel with a metal spacer that I sharpened the edge on, screwed at its end.

1620matchlockmusket005.jpg

With this "cannon boring bit" that I made, I can bore out a very long and straight hole for the ram rod.
1620matchlock008.jpg

Ram rod hole is being bored out with ordinary brace attached to "canon boring bit"
1620matchlockmusketII008.jpg

Position of trigger is being established.
This is quite tricky, as the full movement of an ordinary match lock trigger is what makes the match cord serpent end up in the powder in the pan
1620matchlock017.jpg

Bottom of the pan often had some rough marks or lines, as old regulations said that the powder should be crushed with thumb in pan so as to be more easily ignited. I make mine with an MW at the bottom

1620matchlock015.jpg

Serpent or match cord holder in the shape of a dragon.

Jgarfrbundetsskjutning010.jpg

Hand built musket being fired by a member of staff of our Royal Armory at a seminar held last summer where I demonstrated these old guns in practice, not only in theory.

These pics are quite small, much smaller than I intended. But I´ll work on that, and next mail I hope I figured how to get them larger, too.

Magnus in Sweden

Nice pictures Magnus. Will see you Saturday and I help you get proper size if you hasnt solved the case before! :v
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Hej Magnus! Glad you shared your photos. It doesn't look much like one of my hog rifles, but it still looks like something I'd like to build. MVH, Bookie

Great work, congradulations! Very nice work. Will have to sell the wife and dog to get one!! :rotf:

Great job, Magnus :applause: I'm ending now my matchlock musket, cal. 16 mm, the pattern from Polish-Swedish war 1655. How long is Your musket?

Wes/Tex said:
Will have to sell the wife and dog to get one!! :rotf:
Oh no, not the dog. :nono:
magnus, here is a link to a nice german website.It's in english. :grin:
Link
:hatsoff:

In last years catalogue, the Suhl wheel lock pistol is €2,500 and the Nürnberg "puffer" is €10,000 (this is the highly decorated one)

benvenuto said:
In last years catalogue, the Suhl wheel lock pistol is €2,500 and the Nürnberg "puffer" is €10,000 (this is the highly decorated one)
Yip, that's right.Got an email from Mr.Koenig.Price is €2500.
:hatsoff:

Back