• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1700s folding knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsarge

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My first attempt at a 16th century folding knife. I made it with a deer antler, grass sheer blade, and a nail.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

The makins.

WOW, really nice. :thumbsup:

Is there a way to keep the blade from closing once out? Or is your hand supposed to :yakyak:

Hawken Dan

That's looking real good and I like the way you used common or recycled items! Emery

Dumb question but did you slice the antler with what appears to be that saw? :shocked2: I've wasted a lot of antlers trying that! :rotf: yer gonna go make me ruin another one!
DOH! Thats the shear!!! How DID you cut that slot in the antler??

Dumb question but did you slice the antler with what appears to be that saw? I've wasted a lot of antlers trying that! yer gonna go make me ruin another one!
DOH! Thats the shear!!! How DID you cut that slot in the antler??

I cut the antler in half on my band saw then I lined up the knife blade along the edge of the antler and marked it with a pencil where I wanted it to close. Next I cut a slot for the blade into the first 3/4 inch of the antler with the band saw. Then I drilled the pin hole, mounted the blade and slowly took away antler where the blade came into contact with it using lamp black, a dremel tool and an 1/8" chisel.

Thanks everybody for the nice comments. :grin:

That's very nice work, indeed. Really captured the look of those primitive folders. Being something of a Luddite and a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith, I've always done those the hard way...by hand, without power tools. Not fun after a few hours of smelling antler scrapings! Maybe I should actually use my band saw...

I sure would like to make one of those. Maybe some one would make us a online class for making them....hint hint hint..

Ronnie

Trkdriver99 said:
I sure would like to make one of those. Maybe some one would make us a online class for making them....hint hint hint..

Ronnie

In the last photo it looks like oldsarge has the supplys for one more. :grin:

Well now I suppose I could do something like that, is there an example of an "online class" in here that I could use as a template or would I have to make one up? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back