• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1770 Lancaster .54,... its a done deal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rootnuke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A long time I have waited for this moment.

First of all many thanks to all that looked over my shoulder and gave me instruction and encouragement.

:master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master:

If it were not for you guys, well, I dare say the $900.00 kit would of been 600.00 of manure.

I started this project July 4 weekend 2004, it was completed January 27, 2005. This was a first time build. I spent on average every weekend working on it for 7 months.

The kit was a 1770 Early Lancaster based on John Bivens design. Isaac Hains original rifles were 38" barrel, I wanted a 42" so instead of choosing the Haines kit from Track of the Wolf I chose the 1770.

I incorporated (the best I could) Isaac Haines carvings. There are a couple of places I made some special little carving twists just because I thought it looked better.

All metal is in the white with a little pitting and gray from naval jelly.

Buttplate, sideplate and barrel tang screws have all been hardened and polished.

The patchbox lid opens as smoooth as butter.

There is no engraving. Not because I can't. In a couple months it may happen, just not now.

The stock is stained a dark Aqua Fortis.

I cannot name everyone, but a special thanks to ...

Zonie, Slowpoke, Birdog6 and LSU Tiger

This pic is kinda dark, it has been overcast and raining for 3 weeks. I finally said, Just take the darn picture!

The balance of pics I posted in the forum photo section.

Finished_1770_Lancaster_1.jpg

Finished_1770_Lancaster_2.jpg

There's a few more in the photo section. When I make changes to my website, the photos may drop and not show. Just go to My Website

:nono: ..but not yet, I have lots of pics to post and some redesign to do... :blah:

rootnuke :redthumb:

oh, and by-the-way, now that I built it, how do I load this thing :crackup:

Absolutely gorgeous. Fantastic job! :applause:

Now the big question: How does she shoot? ::

Gooooolllleeeeeeeeeeee!! Wood ye look at that thar Rifle Gun o'er thar!!!

Are that won o theim Itallien guns lik ye can by at kabillas??? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I just couldn't pass the chanch to be the first guy to say that!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I figure it's good training for you because I think all of us who build these guns get someone who sooner or later asks that question.
The first couple of times I was asked that, the guys eyes got really large as he saw the hair on the back of my neck stand up. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :: They would have been larger if he had noticed the hair on the top of my head had stand up, but there isn't a lot there so he didn't notice. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I have sense, learned to just smile and say "no".

Your gun looks great! I'm glad to have had the opportunity to help in some small way.

:)

Wow! Great job! I just joined the forum today and I am in the process of building an S. Hawken .54 halfstock, so I anticipate talking to all of you builders as it all unfolds. I'm assembling this rifle from various parts I've collected over the years, but I've been eyeing the Haines kit from TOTW as my next project. I must say, from seeing the pictures of yours, I'm drooling. Enjoy that new/old shooting iron!
Warmest Regards, Bearman

Looks real good! I would say that 7 months of week ends was well spent. It's a fine looking rifle. :thumbsup:I would guess the next thing is to sight it in and enter in the shoot out for february!
Lehigh...

Rootnuke,

Did you get the patchbox from Muzzleloading Builder's Supply? What about the horns? Track doesn't carry any like that and I have an identical set from MLBS. You don't see many domed early patchboxes except on guns priced like used cars, good going!!

I am having trouble getting the horns attached to my double horn strap from Leatherman. Was yours grooved enough for the lace to grip the strap in front?

-Ray :RO:

Very nice. :redthumb:

Looks real good! I would say that 7 months of week ends was well spent. It's a fine looking rifle. I would guess the next thing is to sight it in and enter in the shoot out for february!
Lehigh...

Yeah. Now comes the important part. :: Get her out and get her dirtied up.

As my Pa used to say: "Kissin wears out, cookin don't." :haha:

Good job!!!!!
You have done yourself proud. Question, how hard is it to install the patchbox release? I built an early Virginia a long time ago,and its my favorite gun. Problem is I never put a patch box on it cause I never use one. I thought it was just something else to go wrong. I've made one for it since but have had trouble getting the release spring tempered right,and they break. I thought about using a push button release like I assume you did, but don't want to open a can of worms. I don't want to mess up my favorite[url] rifle.Again[/url],nice work!
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great !!

Root, you took your time, you asked your questions, and it turned out great. This should be a lesson to all young builders that patience is rewarded. I honestly can't wait till the next one.

SP

Hey Root looks great you did a A1 job bet it will shoot great for ya! Good luck :thumbsup:

:applause: Wow! Really nice job! Let us know what load you settle on (I am also building an early Lancaster with .54 Getz barrel). :applause:

This is fine a work as I have seen at any gun show.

Root you did yourself proud!.

Congratulations and make sure you don't roll over on it while sleeping :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I'm sure I would :haha:

Job extra well done

Woody

That's a great looking rifle! You should be proud. Hopefully further generations will be as well. I just got off the phone with Track myself, I'm going to build a jager. Hopefully my finished product is as nice as yours!
Cheers,
:thumbsup:

This is fine a work as I have seen at any gun show.

Root you did yourself proud!.

Congratulations and make sure you don't roll over on it while sleeping :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I'm sure I would :haha:

Job extra well done

Woody

Yes you laugh. But whats really scary, while other kids had Teddy Bears, guess what I slept with..., a Marlin Pat. 1861 .32 rimfire rifle. ::

....and I still have it. :redthumb:

Rootnuke, you're disgusting! I've been following this project from the beginning and if I couldn't do a better job on my first rifle, I believe I'd just quit. :relax: Actually, you did an outstanding job. You built yourself a rifle that you should be very proud of! Outstanding work! Now get out there and shoot her and let us know she does.

:master: Excellent work! This is your fist gun? Even more impressive. :master:

great job for a first gun....wow....i just hope mine comes out half as good :master:.............bob

She's Beeeeeutiful, but where does the 209 primer go? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :redthumb:

Beautiful job Rootnuke. :master: :applause: :RO: I will be expecting to hear from you so you can get down to Greenwood Gun Club and shoot with the Greenwood Longrifles. We had a match shoot this past weekend. I am a member so if you want to come as my guest and do some shooting let me know. You should have my e-mail addy and my phone number if I remember correctly.
:thumbsup:
Doc Will
Keep Yer Powder and Yer Tobaaco Dry

Latest posts

Back