• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1770 Lancaster .54,... its a done deal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have done yourself proud, #1, or #100, it would still be great.

You have also compiled a "great how (to) I did" it history on your site. You should maybe consider some avertisment adds, for I think the traffic will be running high. :peace:

This is fine a work as I have seen at any gun show.

Root you did yourself proud!.

Congratulations and make sure you don't roll over on it while sleeping :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I'm sure I would :haha:

Job extra well done

Woody

Yes you laugh. But whats really scary, while other kids had Teddy Bears, guess what I slept with..., a Marlin Pat. 1861 .32 rimfire rifle. ::
....and I still have it. :redthumb:

LMAO... That beat the hell out of the Daisy Red Raider I had as a bed mate. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Woody

Great work. You sure can be proud of her! Your pics of your first carving efforts gave me the nerve to try some on the Haines I'm working on. But my feeble attemps won't compare to yours! Man thats a fine looking job!!

Rootnuke,

Did you get the patchbox from Muzzleloading Builder's Supply? What about the horns? Track doesn't carry any like that and I have an identical set from MLBS. You don't see many domed early patchboxes except on guns priced like used cars, good going!!

I am having trouble getting the horns attached to my double horn strap from Leatherman. Was yours grooved enough for the lace to grip the strap in front?

-Ray :RO:

All TOW had was a standard flat panel patch box door with their kit. I found the domed at Muzzleloaders Builders Supply. I figured if I was going to put the work into a pachbox, why not domed. Besides, for Isaac Haines it was a must for me.

Both my horns are on their own strap. I have the strap you speak of but have not combined the 2 horns to the single strap yet.

Good job!!!!!
You have done yourself proud. Question, how hard is it to install the patchbox release? I built an early Virginia a long time ago,and its my favorite gun. Problem is I never put a patch box on it cause I never use one. I thought it was just something else to go wrong. I've made one for it since but have had trouble getting the release spring tempered right,and they break. I thought about using a push button release like I assume you did, but don't want to open a can of worms. I don't want to mess up my favorite[url] rifle.Again[/url],nice work!
Dave

When I got my patchbox release kit it consisted of a couple of pieces of odd looking metal, 2 screws and a little spring. The directions were pretty crappy.

So I just sat down and got eye-to-eye with the butt end and proceeded to see how I would make these things work.

Here's the gutz of my button release mechanism.

This is everything assembled.
patchbox_release_mechanism_1.jpg

Patchbox door open and a look at the inerds.
patchbox_release_mechanism_2.jpg

Overhead shot into the patchbox.
patchbox_release_mechanism_3.jpg

The patchbox lid latched with buttplate removed. I polished both the catches so they were smooth when they rubbed past each other.
patchbox_release_mechanism_4.jpg

Another shot of the catch without the buttplate.
patchbox_release_mechanism_5.jpg

I need to be clear here. This catch release design is a pure guesstimation. I have never held an antique Pennsyvania / Kentucky rifle in my life. I have never seen pictures of a release. This is just what worked for me. What I'm trying to say is this may not be PC, I don't know, but it worked for me. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodhick,

Why do you wear that eye patch? :blah: :blah:

Cause my brother never listen to my dad or Mum about don't be shooting at you lil brother with that BB Gun!
You believe that i got any more stories to tell ya,\. :crackup:

Very well done sir, thats as nice a rifle as I've laid eyes on. We ALL want to know how she shoots!!

i'm gonna add :m2c:worth and declair root nuke bp builders rookie of the year. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :master: :master: :master:
i've seen some beautiful rifles on this forum but never one thet purty on a first build.ya done good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rootnuke,

BEAUTIFUL!!!!, Even if you do have twice too many horns! :crackup: :crackup:

Pay no attention to Texians!

Regards,
Terry

Root
Your release kit looks just like the one I looked at from MBS. I think it's PC cause I've seen pictures of original rifles, and you could see the button. I've also seen the button on the toe with a toe plate. I guess either position is correct. It would seem you would have to file the notch to fit the particular rifle. Thanks for the pics. Again, nice job!
Dave

Gawd, Even all the screws align with the front sight. A thing of beauty. :redthumb: :thumbsup: :redthumb: :thumbsup: :redthumb: :thumbsup:

Hey Root:
For starters, beautiful work on that rifle. Gives me hope.

Your pix of the patchbox release are excellent. I once had a J. M Caswell New York state longrifle like the one illustrated in Roberts' book on caplocks (it may well have been the same rifle). The release on that rifle was exactly like yours, except the button was in the curve of the buttplate (turned 90 degrees from yours). I saw a modern-made custom rifle on which the rlease was cleverly hidden to look like part of the hinge. Yours must surely be period correct as well.

Brgds, Bluejacket

That's a fine looking rifle Root. I don't know how you goin to hunt with it pretty as it is.

Very nice work! Makes me want to build one! I'm thinking of starting with a double barrel shotgun though.

Hat's off to ya'!

BP Newbie

Congrats on some nice work. You did a great job.

Now you have to determine if it is going to be a shooter or a wall hanger. If a shooter, get with Doc Will and come down and start shooting with us. We have a couple of flinch lock shooters who are both state and national champions in our club. Also have some novices in our group so you should fit in fine somewhere. Houston area ML shooters can hold their own anywhere.

Our club members are more shooters then builders, but we appreciate a fine builder as well as anyone. Will be waiting to meet you one day so I can fondle that fine rifle and see if it shoots as well as it looks.

Latest posts

Back