• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1792 Contract Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchochole

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a 1792 contract rifle from Track of the Wolf- and I wanted to ask what folks thought about this kit in comparison to other kits? (difficulty, accuracy and quality)

Thanks
Jim Chocole

I'd contact Don Stith.
Don Stith's web site
Here's a L&C I finished up off of one of his kits
weber1.jpg

weber2.jpg

weber3.jpg

weber4.jpg

Wow!! it's beautiful!

Looks exactly like the original specimen I saw on display during the Lewis and Clark exhibition here in Portland a few weeks back.

Pretty darn nice! How does she spark? I've always thought that 1803 lock had not the best geometry compared to a Siler and the Siler is not the very best either but if it works, I guess it works.

CoyoteJoe said:
Pretty darn nice! How does she spark? I've always thought that 1803 lock had not the best geometry compared to a Siler and the Siler is not the very best either but if it works, I guess it works.
Well, I'll tell ya. I built some of these for Village Restorations and wasn't at all impressed with this lock at that time. I've also built a bunch of these in the past couple of years for Don Stith and the last few of these locks showed some marked improvement. They have a stronger mainspring, show better quality and spark pretty well. I've also built a few of these guns for Don around 1803 locks by The Rifle Shoppe. These locks sparked like crazy and are SUPER locks. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike, the Rifle Shoppe, sounds good. I'm assuming the lock pictured is the R.E. Davis. The 1803 lock looks to be a "basher" and I guess that can't be changed without totally changing the style. Thanks again for the reply. :grin:

I used all of Jesse's hardware from the rifle shoppe.
It is a cut above everyone elses.
Dont know if it still holds ture, but Jess supplied TOTW while they first offered 1792s and 1803s.

Back