• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

18 pounder cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I found a new, unused 18pounder for sale. It’s 10’ long, weighs about 4500 lbs, and has no carriage yet. It’s in Upstate NY near
Glens Falls. Owner is planning to make an oak carriage this spring. PM me and I will give you contact info.
22D3484A-6799-424E-B847-520FD5631C3C.jpeg
5F3BE99D-4F69-47A5-B220-B3E0E29B8130.jpeg
14FD1740-D1E5-442E-B9E0-0ED89B63906B.jpeg

I tried to find a link to PM you but I don’t see one.
My State Park may be interested in the cannon.
Please PM me and I’ll check back regularly throughout the next few days.

If it's a shooter, it would be fun. I once manned an 18 pdr (#1 man) made from a chunk of used 5" modern Naval cannon barrel. 1 1/2 lbs of 2fg blasting powder (iirc) and wadding and it screamed for buffalo meat! It shook the ground and kicked off car alarms some distance away, LOL!

I haven't heard back from OP, rusticbob, and I still don't see a link to private message him like in all the other forums I'm on.
We may be interested in the cannon, but need more details.

My park currently has I think 15 cannons, with most of them in firing condition, and we may be interested in adding an 18 pounder.
Currently we fire our 32 pounders, 24 pounders, 8" columbiad, 6" field gun, and 8" mortar. Some are original and some reproductions.
The others like a 10" columbiad is an original and we don't want to risk it getting damaged. I hope to one day fire one of our 155mm G.P.F.
Fort Macon State Park | NC State Parks

I haven't heard back from OP, rusticbob, and I still don't see a link to private message him like in all the other forums I'm on.
We may be interested in the cannon, but need more details.

My park currently has I think 15 cannons, with most of them in firing condition, and we may be interested in adding an 18 pounder.
Currently we fire our 32 pounders, 24 pounders, 8" columbiad, 6" field gun, and 8" mortar. Some are original and some reproductions.
The others like a 10" columbiad is an original and we don't want to risk it getting damaged. I hope to one day fire one of our 155mm G.P.F.
Fort Macon State Park | NC State Parks
For those who haven't been to Fort Macon ... It's pretty cool. But watch where you step. 😂 They've left it historically accurate in a lot of respects that are a bit surprising in this era of protecting everyone and his children from their own carelessness. It would be even cooler if they could get another period piece. 🙏

Fort Macon State Park, Wikipedia page

Fort Macon State Park home page

Last edited:
I found a new, unused 18pounder for sale. It’s 10’ long, weighs about 4500 lbs, and has no carriage yet. It’s in Upstate NY near
Glens Falls. Owner is planning to make an oak carriage this spring. PM me and I will give you contact info.

@rusticbob
Hey, I've checked back everyday for a week but haven't heard anything. I looked again and still don't see a way to PM you, maybe because I'm new to the forum. I'll check back again tomorrow so hope to hear from you.

The OP appears to have been posting regularly in other threads for at least the last month.
Click on his username and hit the button "start conversation".
He appears to have been posting to other threads regularly every day or two for at least the past month. So this suggestion should work.

Thank you Nobade!
I thought "Start Conversation" was how to start a new thread in the forum. I'm on a lot of forums and never heard a PM link titled that.
PM sent.

Also for Fort Macon info, pre-covid we constantly did public programs firing 1861 or 1864 Springfield rifles. For years it was an original 64', but it developed a crack in the stock, so we started using reproduction 1861's.
Now we just do them on Wednesday's and for the rare group. We used to do 3-4 school groups a day. Good times.

For cannons, we fire them every chance we get, but gets kind of expensive and we try to only use donations to buy powder. June July and August we fire a 32 pounder ever Wed. at 4:00. We also have Cannon Day on many Saturdays where we fire a different cannon once an hour. We also fire on holidays.

I am so sorry I have not responded to you all. I do not look here often enough. It is not my cannon, it is a friend of mine from Upstate NY. I hesitate to post his contact info online, but if anyone want more info please pm me and I will give out his contact info. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back