• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1805-1838 Fur Trapper Era stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple felt blanks were transported west. My gut feeling is they would look like the blanks sold by outfiters todaybut we dont know. It would be hard to predict how a metse would feel about wearing a hat unlike his friends and family. The culture was very clanish,
Be mindful that vouager was an emploee of a company that worked the river,a boatman.Different then a trapper. Many vouagers were metis,a few metis were voyagers.

Thanks Necchi , I thought it was a Coureur de Bois but wasn’t certain (now if I just knew the proper pronunciation).
Thank you also Black hand looks like I got some reading to do.

Hey, thanks! My French is like my German and Spanish...know how to order beer and say things to a waitress to get my face slapped! :wink: :rotf: Get past Chevrolet Coupe in French and I'm lost! :haha:

Thanks Necchi, I sample read some and it looks very intersting,going to have to get a copy.
I don't suppose you know a good book about the
Coureur de Bois ?

Nothing specific, they just weren't the type to keep journals, just passing mention of independents in many journals and logs of others that worked for the large companies.
After all it was a battle for the market, independents where the enemy.

Well, I KNOW a lot of folks don't agree with the Miller artwork but he shows a couple of Metis with just the standard wide brim, wool felt hat. On one such hat it is shown upside down and had two straps- for tying under chin. If you have been in Wyoming you know why. Maybe it should be called Windoming.

Just ordered a copy of "The Voyageur" the other night, cost a penny but with shiping, 4 bucks. Cheap entertainment for sure. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the tip.
Tom

Back