• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1841 Mississippi in .58 caliber (need info)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stopped at the local pawn shop and low and behold was this unfired 1841 Mississippi by Navy Arms and manufactured by Bernadelli............I do believe it is unfired as the bluing around the nipple area is perfect. It came with a Mini ball mold also un used. Its an aluminum mold but its not a Lee......Its anodized blue and has a built in core pin attached to a plate on the bottom. It als came with a new large flask......Twice as big as a Colt pistol flask.................They wanted $300 for it, but the factory did not crown it very well. (must have been a Monday)so the proprietor asked $250 and I grabbed it. I will have to slice off an 1/8th inch of barrel to recrown it correctly.

I realize these were originally made in .54 caliber and really plan on only using round ball.......
Was Bernadelli a decent manufacturer of Muzzleloaders?
Is Bernadelli North South Skirmish approved?

Thanks................Bob

I don't see it on their list. Check out www.n-ssa.org. Click on information and scroll down to Competition Regulations-approved arms.
You could also ask John Holland on the forum.

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:
I searched on the NSSA forum and Mr Holland stated to someone who inquired about it that if it had a "W" stamped on the side of the barrel it was an approved arm........This one does. But I dont Skirmish anyway................It does say "Replica Arms" "Ridgefield NJ on the top of the barrel............Someone said that Navy Arms used to be "Replica Arms back in the 60's or early 70's. I hope this one doesnt have a brazed breech. But when Mr Holland stated on the NSSA if it had a "W" on the Bolster it was approved so since mine does have the "W" it is probably screwed in.......................Bob

Navy Arms was in Ridgefield, and marketed guns under several names. All these were made in Italy, if memory serves me well. It should be a well made, if badly finished rifle.

Good find! I have one in .54 caliber I bought years ago from Euroarms. The US M1841 is arguably the best looking military rifle ever issued in the US. They were designed to fire a prb and was the last rifle (issued) designed for round ball. They are notable for their accuracy. Mine is extraordinarily accurate and fitted/finished to a very high degree. Yours sounds like it may only need minor work; perhaps simply re-crowning the muzzle might be an option. Good luck with your good deal gun.

-----I wouldn't cut the barrel any shorter till its checked out good--if rifling is bad at end of barrel how about conning the end ?-----

I probably could have coned it to clean it up, but it didnt take 10 minutes to make it look new at the end.......A buddy chucked it in the lathe and faced off the end. Lost 1/16 inch of barrel. Then we slightly put a tiny bevel of a crown. I will have to remove the ramrod end (cone shaped thingy thats threaded on) and shorten and reattach it as it was flush and now its slightly longer than the barrel......................Bob

Leatherbark:

I have an unfired 1841 in 58 cal in the safe. Would be interested in what load it shoots once you work it up. Also think there is something to be done with the sights. Believe they shoot high?

Jim

I'll take it to the range next week and find out how well it shoots. I have .562 round balls, 440gr R.E.A.L bullets and a few boxes of Buffalo Hollow points that was thrown in the deal. I'll try the conicals just for the record. But I really am interested in the round balls......................Bob

Wonder how one of these M1841s would shoot for a lefty with that patchbox there... I looked at these but opted for a lefty Kentucky rifle instead. But I may come back to these again eventually. They're really attractive guns and I like the smaller dimensions-- something different from your usual "really big and heavy" rifle-muskets of the Civil War era.

Latest posts

Back