• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1842 Springfield accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In "The Rifle in America" by Philip Sharpe, he writes that a good marksman could expect around six inch groups at 100 yards from the rifled guns. :thumbsup:

Thanks! With that size Minnie, I guess close counts! ::

Anybody here have any personal experience?

Don't have experience with the '42, or .69 calibre minnie rifles, but have done a fair amount of shooting with the .58 calibre rifle-muskets.

Actually, a tight-fitting minnie will be most accurate...when used in war, the Army used loose fitting minnies so that hundreds of rounds could be fired, and a certain amount of accuracy was traded off for that.

To get your six inch groups or better, you will want a minnie that fits the bore nice and tight. And there's nothing wrong with a six-inch group, that's more than close, right on target, whether the target is a man, six-inch bull's eye, deer, bear or Elk!

Rat

I get 3" groups at 100 yards with my old Parker Hale '53 Enfield. That's using a .575 Minie which is tight. I would think that you could do about as well with your '42 if you use a tight slug. Generally speaking, a heavier Minie will be more accurate. You will also have to experiment with powder charges to get the best results, but 60 to 70 grains of ffg is probably a good place to start. I have a '42 smooth bore and it is a well built gun and has stood up well to some stiff loads.

Is there much availability of .69 calibre minnies? Seems like the majority of 69's are muskets...? I know the moulds exist, but nothing like the variety in .58" I'm sure.

Minnies will shoot well, but sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking, and shopping around to find a mould that casts a slug that is tight in the bore you are working with, and a weight compatible with the twist.

Gotta love those Parker Hales, sounds like you can really get them to shoot. I got my Armisport '61 shooting really good, but I'm using the REAL, the two minnies I have, she didn't like. (although with enough messing around, or perhaps lighter or hotter loads, they would probably shoot..but I wanted to stay right within a 100 grain powder-charge window for hunting)

REAL's will often shoot good in a minnie rifle, avoiding much of the "research and development" of getting a minnie to shoot. I have no idea, but would be kind of suprised to hear of a REAL in .69 calibre. ?? That would be one heck of big old whomping chunk of lead...as would any minnie ball.

Well good luck and I'm certainly jealous that you have a rifled .69!! That's too cool.

Rat

WW:

One fellah I know in the N-SSA breaks 6" tiles with his '42 at 100 yards with monotonous regularity. Right load for the gun makes it as accurate as a '41, '55 or a '61 -- it just leaves a bigger hole! :thumbsup:

And, Rat, I've seen 'em in wadcutters and full-size minies, but you're right -- there's not a lot of varieties from which to choose.

Well it sounds like the feller in N-SSA knows what/which minnie works! Maybe he could pass that info on.

A .69" wad-cutter must make one heck of a hole!

:eek:

My .58's are starting to sound like small bores.

:cry:

Naw that's o.k., I still got Bess.

Rat

Rat & all:

Got the answer back from my bud: He uses a Rapine .69 minie Wad Cutter 685500, over 55 grains of 2F. A nice, relatively light load that delivers accuracy. Given the size of the hole it creates, it most likely would deliver venison to the table as well. :imo:

I have an Ideal 685 grain original style mold. I wish I had a good '42 or an 1816 Remington conversion to shoot them out of. :cry: That bullet is a MONSTER. I shot a few out of a .69 Charleville just to see how much recoil there was with some 60-70 gr. charges. You can feel it, but it's not bad. Of course they tumble after about 25-30 yds and keyhole like crazy but what can you expect with a smoothbore and a Minie?
:results:

Latest posts

Back